Blue Iris on Parallels (Mac)

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
hi everyone, I have a problem that is driving me nuts and I can't quite figure out how to solve it. I have BI running on a Win 7 vm slice. It works just fine with the 2 cams i have. The odd thing is that every now and then when my Mac "sleeps" BI drops entirely and stops working, meaning my mobile app refuses the connection and events are no longer recording (both inside and outside my network). BI is running as a service on windows and my Mac is set to never seep or shut down (only the monitor turns off). When I 'wake' my mac form its slumber everything works just fine again. This doesn't happen all the time but only some of the time (which is why i set my Mac to never turn off hard discs). I am at loss of what to look for. Any suggestions? thanks

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you cannot reach BI in the VM can you still ping your Mac IP ?

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
ok so turns out my vm slice was down. I did notice this when I tried to ping the win7 machine. So I am gonna stand down for now, maybe i should look for a tool to alert me if my vm slice is unreachable. I do have my Mac set to never turn off hard discs so I will see if i have any further problems. than you for your prompt reply.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris doesn't work well in ANY VM regardless of operating system. If you put your computer to sleep, everything stops it's not like the VM somehow keeps working. Hardware acceleration doesn't work in a VM and idk how direct to disk is effected.

Run it on bare metal with an i5 or i7 from the last 2 years or so. You can find an appropriate machine on ebay for around $300

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thanks, good to know. I just didn't want another machine on my desk.

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
haha yea i may end up putting it in a closet next to the POE switch.