Blue iris over vpn

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Apr 5, 2018
I have three locations. Each have gigabit internet connections full duplex. Then I have another location again with full duplex gigabit internet and networking along with a beefy server with tons of storage and computing power. Each location has a vpn server on their PFsense routers as well as about 8 8mp colorvu cameras. Each of these locations is within 30 miles of each other.

If I were to setup three instances of blue iris in the main location with the beefy server in their own virtual machines could it reliably record the footage from the other locations via wireguard vpn( also have openvpn at my disposal as well despite slower) despite the latency and gigabit bandwidth?

Curious if the streaming over gigabit for this distance would be smooth. Also don’t feel like setting up an nvr at each location and buying hardware for each if I can avoid it.

Has anyone done this and if so how was live streaming like remotely since there’s some additional travel from the location 1 to blue iris location to the remote location/phone. How does recorded footage compare to live steam?

Last edited:
If you have enough server to run 3 vms why not just 1 big vm to run all the cameras?
Can one instance of BI give separate access to users? For instance location one boss should only be able to see his cameras in UI3. Same goes for other locations and their respective bosses.

You can limit a user to only certain groups (Settings > Users > Select user > Limit to camera groups). Create groups including only that site's cameras and assign users that way. Though I don't know how hard that is, i.e., If there's some way around that if it would matter in your case.