Blue Iris PC or a POE NVR?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using Blue Iris on my PC for a while along with the blue iris app for my phone the combo works great. I've been thinking about going POE NVR since my work bought one and it kinda made me think it may be simpler in some ways. #1 blue iris uses all my CPU i5-4670k with 8GB of RAM i'm using 15 POE cameras 3MP hikvision brand. I put the data rates low and use 10fps and it still uses 99% of my CPU. I even tried it on my gaming PC that has a 6700k over clocked 16GB of RAM and it used 90% of the CPU. :shame:

Trouble with the POE NVR is the way i have my cables run, i only have two cables going outside to a POE hub that powers all the cameras i'd have to run 15 cables through a nasty crawl space and back though a wall what a pain.

Why doesn't blue iris off load to the GPU? With 4k cameras already out you would need a intel xeon setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using Blue Iris on my PC for a while along with the blue iris app for my phone the combo works great. I've been thinking about going POE NVR since my work bought one and it kinda made me think it may be simpler in some ways. #1 blue iris uses all my CPU i5-4670k with 8GB of RAM i'm using 15 POE cameras 3MP hikvision brand. I put the data rates low and use 10fps and it still uses 99% of my CPU. I even tried it on my gaming PC that has a 6700k over clocked 16GB of RAM and it used 90% of the CPU. :shame:

Trouble with the POE NVR is the way i have my cables run, i only have two cables going outside to a POE hub that powers all the cameras i'd have to run 15 cables through a nasty crawl space and back though a wall what a pain.

Why doesn't blue iris off load to the GPU? With 4k cameras already out you would need a intel xeon setup.
Welcome to the forum..you have not setup blue iris correctly..when using HD cameras you MUST set each one to direct to disk recording. This is your problem.
Blue iris DOES offload to the GPU, but you MUST use intel HD with quicksync.. You need to enable it in BI.
Remember that direct to disk is not active in demo mode..so when testing, you need to enter the license key.
If you insist on an nvr you dont need to run any more cable...it will work just as BI does..they are network cameras, they dont have to be home run.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will try that when I get home. Will bi only use Intel graphics? How can I power 15 Poe cams off 2 cables?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will try that when I get home. Will bi only use Intel graphics? How can I power 15 Poe cams off 2 cables?
Yes only intel..even without hardware acceleration direct to disk alone will make a dramatic difference.
You will use your poe switch.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried direct to disk recording and to use quicksync intel HD hardware acceleration and CPU usage did not change the only change was BI used more RAM. Doesn't direct to disk recording only affect things when the cameras are recording something?

They need to use
nvidia [FONT=&quot]accelerated my GTX 1080 would take so much off the CPU.[/FONT]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried direct to disk recording and to use quicksync intel HD hardware acceleration and CPU usage did not change the only change was BI used more RAM. Doesn't direct to disk recording only affect things when the cameras are recording something?

They need to use
nvidia [FONT=&amp]accelerated my GTX 1080 would take so much off the CPU.[/FONT]
No, direct to disk has an effect even when you are not recording. You are certainly doing something wrong. Did you enable direct to disk for EACH of your 15 cameras? You MUST be running a registered version on your test system..no demo.
With that many cameras you might consider raising the memory to 16gb...see this https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage
There is not "they" in blue iris. It is developed by a single person. A gtx 1080 is completely inappropriate for an NVR machine. Its a power hog...intel HD is efficient. Most folks already have intel HD in their systems. The developer also mentioned that intel has a team that provides support on a level that nvidia does not.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, direct to disk has an effect even when you are not recording. You are certainly doing something wrong. Did you enable direct to disk for EACH of your 15 cameras? You MUST be running a registered version on your test system..no demo.
With that many cameras you might consider raising the memory to 16gb...see this https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage
There is not "they" in blue iris. It is developed by a single person. A gtx 1080 is completely inappropriate for an NVR machine. Its a power hog...intel HD is efficient. Most folks already have intel HD in their systems. The developer also mentioned that intel has a team that provides support on a level that nvidia does not.
Ok i turned all the cams to direct to disk and it did make a differance. There are two options for Intel HD hardware acceleration, H.264 and video+postproc? BI is only using 1.7G of my RAM system shows 3.7G total used would more be needed?

Thanks for your help and time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok i turned all the cams to direct to disk and it did make a differance. There are two options for Intel HD hardware acceleration, H.264 and video+postproc? BI is only using 1.7G of my RAM system shows 3.7G total used would more be needed?

Thanks for your help and time.
Dont use vpp...the release note explains that this should not be used for systems with many cams/high bitrates. Just use standard hardware acceleration. What is your new cpu consumption and with what system?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's between 65-83% i5-4670K
Have you enabled hardware acceleration? did you remove any discrete card from the pc?
What frame rates are the cameras set to?
You can reduce the live frame rate without affecting recording. blue iris options> cameras this will conserve cpu.
Are you recording to BVR format? Its most efficient.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
H.264 hardware acceleration, i built the PC so it never had any card.

10fps for all cameras and they are all using BVR format as it is the default.

So i can run only one cable from my POE switch to a NVR and it will work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
H.264 hardware acceleration, i built the PC so it never had any card.

10fps for all cameras and they are all using BVR format as it is the default.

So i can run only one cable from my POE switch to a NVR and it will work?
Make sure to reboot after enabling HA
Yes...it's a network video recorder...the NVR and mobile app will be very limited compared to bi..that load will run at under 30 percent on a modern i7...