Blue Iris PC Upgrade

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi all
I have been running Blue Iris on a meek i5-4590 for quite awhile now. Now that I am up to 12-15 cams and 2 of them larger PTZs the slowness is getting worse..
Dell Optiplex 7080 Mini Tower 16gb, 256 SSD and 4TB.
Assuming a IF-8500 is what I need. Any options with retrofitting this case with a MB and Ram? Any ideas what or where to purchase?
Or should i just get a deal on a new unit on Ebay.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you done all of the optimizations? Many still use a 4th gen just fine.

Granted a newer model like an i5-8500 would be better, but your machine is still quite capable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
A dell optiplex 7080 should be running a newer chip than a 4590. are saying your looking at that? or?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't screw around with motherboards. chances are, whatever you have now, for a case, isn't going to accept a Dell motherboard readily. They tend to use proprietary form factors after about the 7020 Optiplex era in Mini tower boards.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't screw around with motherboards. chances are, whatever you have now, for a case, isn't going to accept a Dell motherboard readily. They tend to use proprietary form factors after about the 7020 Optiplex era in Mini tower boards.
It is a dell mini tower. I am quite capable of upgrading anything in it.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you done all of the optimizations? Many still use a 4th gen just fine.

Granted a newer model like an i5-8500 would be better, but your machine is still quite capable.

Yes I have done all the optimizations. I am still chugging along mostly fine . Playback can be crappy at times

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Crappy playback could be the performance limits of having 1 Hard drive. or the performance limits of that particular hard drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the machine your running now, and what are you asking? Optiplex's running 4590's were the 9020 series. Proprietary pinout on the motherboard PSU plug. 8070 might have simliar pinout, but the I/O backplane could be in a different location physically than the motherboard standoff's in the case.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Crappy playback could be the performance limits of having 1 Hard drive. or the performance limits of that particular hard drive.
I have a 256 SSD for just OS, BI and DB. Data drive with no moving of clips of 4GB. Recommended drives. Not so much playback performance. More like CPU usage that slows down access of viewing live. Etc

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah it could be the CPU is too busy and reached it's performance limit with your current setup. maybe the data drive is ok, but what is it?
Some desktop drive do surveilance just fine, and some others, not so much...
i see an uptick in system performance for playback when I use the Western digital surveilance rated drives. Some people dont think so...whatever.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.