Blue Iris picture frame / UI3 camera viewing station

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT: So project has changed from smart mirror to desk picture frame / UI3 viewing

So wife didn't like the mirror idea so I altered it a picture frame for my desk area running Blue Iris UI3 + at a push of a button switch into a digital picture frame

Wants:
-Aesthetically appealing and gets the wife approval
-Can be easily turned off or switched into "Picture frame mode" and scroll through pictures
-Nice wooden stained frame that's not too bulky

I'm going to have a raspberry pi running inside the picture frame to display my camera feed when its turned in one mode, then at a push of a button change it into a scrolling picture frame album.

I want this project to be as low as cost as possible so the materials I will be using are:

-Raspberry Pi 3 Model B - $35.48

-Cooling fan, case, SD card, power supply - $26.99

-11.6 inch laptop monitor - $39.97

-30 pin hdmi controller board - $26.68

-Wood + stain and misc hardware

Everything has been ordered and hopefully will be delivered in a week or so!

EDIT: Finished Product:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am waiting for the monitor and buttons to come in... I ordered them from ali so might take a while...

In the meantime I have successfully programmed a python script to change (CTRL + tab) between ui2 and Google photos!

The programming is pretty much done just waiting for hardware

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So after taking a day or two to learn some Python coding I have a working push button that switches between Google photos and UI2 using the Pi's GPIO pins.

So on startup the raspberry pi autostarts chromium in kiosk mode (full screen) and opens 2 tabs - UI2 and Google photos.

When I push a button it sends a ctrl + tab press and release keyboard command which toggles between tabs.

I'm waiting for the monitor to come in now to start construction of the frame. I'll post my python code and everything needed once I get the monitor and can run more test

Reaction score
Good stuff..... keep up the youtube videos too.

They are great, we newbs refer to them a lot!!!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff..... keep up the youtube videos too.

They are great, we newbs refer to them a lot!!!
For sure! I've been very busy lately and have really wanted to do another one. I been taking online classes and that has consumed a lot of my time. When this semester is finished hopefully I can find some more time to do some more vids

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the screen came in today I ordered from Ali and I will not be using it. It has terrible quality (brightness is low and very low screen picture quality). Plus after working 5-6 hours trying to get the touchscreen drivers to work I have come up unsuccessful SO.....

I will be ordering a 11.6 inch laptop screen and a controller board from amazon. Decided for cost saving to not go the touchscreen route.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice thanks for sharing! Still trying to keep it lower on the budget side of things and I am limited on desk space on where I’m going to put it (going on desk under a shelf) so I needed something in under 12 inches. I ended up just ordering this after doing lots of research:

11.6 Inch screen - $39.97
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DL288EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Controller Board -$26.62
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC6SJF7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short 90 degree HDMI - $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYWAHCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is so slick! I've been looking for a simple (wife compatible) way for her to monitor the house that will go with her decor. I set up the TV's in the house so she just has to change inputs and open up the web browser directly to UI3 but that is still too much work for her. This just might work. Looking forward to the final result.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have everything in now tested and working except for my momentary push buttons. Hopefully will have everything framed up in the next few days!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Really nice work. Dasstrum! You may be motivating me to do something like that for our house, but I'd probably do three, wall mounted by each door. Overkill, I know, but if one is good, two is better and three is better yet!

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Almost done!! Still waiting on the buttons to come in so I can get everything wired up but its pretty much finished

Amazing work, and very clever.

How necessary are the fans? Is it the Pi that needs it or the Pi + that screen?