Blue Iris/Plex/NAS build

mag1c

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been reading and lurking a lot and know that for blue iris I want sandy bridge or newer (preferably 6th gen and newer)but just wanted to get your all's opinions on this PC I have and if it's worth using as I got it for free.
It's an old (obviously) HP SFF PC I acquired link to specs here
Specs:
  • 3.1 or 3.3 ghz i5 2400/2500
  • 2x4GB RAM (I believe its 1333MHz DDR3)
  • DisplayPort
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 1 3.5in bay
  • 1 5.25in bay (does have an optical drive so could possibly fit another but I need 4 total drives)
  • 1 low-profile PCI
  • 2 low-profile PCIe x1
  • 1 low-profile PCIe x16
  • NO USB 3.0 or eSATA
Just curious if I were to use this as the brains for the NAS how would I go about hooking up all the HDDs to it since it just has USB 2.0. It's too small to fit 4 drives in so I know I'd need some sort of enclosure but I'd like to use this PC as the brains for blue iris/plex/storage if possible or see some build guides for a 4 bay PC I can build for under $300 or so.
TIA

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would go to my local PC store and ask them: Do you have any old HP cases around, I want to transfer the motherboard from an SFF HP PC into a bigger case so I can add hard drives. I just did that for a used pc build but went the other way, I transferred a HP motherboard from a larger case into a SFF case, it went very well.