Blue Iris randomly spikes CPU usage to 100% requiring restart

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

On one of my computers running Blue Iris (i5-2320), the CPU will randomly spike to 100% usage out of nowhere, despite if any cameras are recording or not. There are 8 Foscam cameras recording on it and 5 Hikvision 2032's recording (sub stream, not main stream). All of the Hik's are using direct-to-disc and BVR format but the Foscam's arent using direct-to-disc (need the time overlay). The CPU typically is under 30% even when recording but out of nowhere it spikes and stays high which eventually will blue screen of death me. If I close BI the CPU usage jumps back down, but if I re-open it, then it jumps back up. A restart fixes the issue. The Hikvisions only record M-F, 10AM - 6PM, at night it's only the foscams and the computer will still max out the resources and reboot.

I keep the computer on 24/7 but because of this, it freezes then blue screen of death's and restarts. Once restarted, it's fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

dalepa

Reaction score
windows 8? How's the memory looking? sound like a memory leak issue maybe?

Haven't seen this before on my win8/i7/16GB with 10 cams with the latest BI version, but im not running direct-to-disc...

Hi everyone,

On one of my computers running Blue Iris (i5-2320), the CPU will randomly spike to 100% usage out of nowhere, despite if any cameras are recording or not. There are 8 Foscam cameras recording on it and 5 Hikvision 2032's recording (sub stream, not main stream). All of the Hik's are using direct-to-disc and BVR format but the Foscam's arent using direct-to-disc (need the time overlay). The CPU typically is under 30% even when recording but out of nowhere it spikes and stays high which eventually will blue screen of death me. If I close BI the CPU usage jumps back down, but if I re-open it, then it jumps back up. A restart fixes the issue. The Hikvisions only record M-F, 10AM - 6PM, at night it's only the foscams and the computer will still max out the resources and reboot.

I keep the computer on 24/7 but because of this, it freezes then blue screen of death's and restarts. Once restarted, it's fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a Windows 7 machine (64 bit), i5-2320 @ 3 GHz and 8 GB of RAM (Acer Aspire M3970)

The memory stays at about 50%, regardless of when the CPU spikes.

Thanks!

dalepa

Reaction score
i'de just blame them foscams... :) (Nice to able to say that without the threat of being banded :)

It's a Windows 7 machine (64 bit), i5-2320 @ 3 GHz and 8 GB of RAM (Acer Aspire M3970)

The memory stays at about 50%, regardless of when the CPU spikes.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What version of BI? How long has this been going on?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been every version of BI and has been going on for the past couple of months. Currently on 3.49.01

dalepa

Reaction score
Probably indirectly... Some video driver or encoder that BI uses I would guess... huge guess.. I would be upgrading to windows 8, but that's just me...

I though I remember some 100% issue on cam-it... to bad i can't search the site anymore :(

LOL ;) You really think it's them?

dalepa

Reaction score
The report of 100% CPU on cam-it was your posts :p

Probably indirectly... Some video driver or encoder that BI uses I would guess... huge guess.. I would be upgrading to windows 8, but that's just me...

I though I remember some 100% issue on cam-it... to bad i can't search the site anymore :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i'de just blame them foscams... :) (Nice to able to say that without the threat of being banded :)
What?? Huh?? Did someone really get banned from cam-it just for blaming foscam for a problem?

@Mike

If your New/Alerts/Storage folders have a lot of files in them, it could be the index generation being ridiculously slow. I used to have Blue Iris spike in CPU usage when I'd try to load the web interface - which, by the way, was taking several minutes to load. Once I cleared out all my previous recordings all was well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@Mike

If your New/Alerts/Storage folders have a lot of files in them, it could be the index generation being ridiculously slow. I used to have Blue Iris spike in CPU usage when I'd try to load the web interface - which, by the way, was taking several minutes to load. Once I cleared out all my previous recordings all was well.
Great, will try that! Thanks.

dalepa

Reaction score
What?? Huh?? Did someone really get banned from cam-it just for blaming foscam for a problem?
As I understand it, yes. I was also banned without warning last week, I guess my 2-3 replies about not liking censorship was not acceptable. Or a cam-it admin is reading my censorship complaints to another user via PM. Never have I seen craziness...

Anyways, I'm done with cam-it. ipcamtalk is already so much better and with a Zero Censorship policy (except for extreme cases, and ban by admin vote only).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yup, its was for "constant bashing on foscam and foscam users". I did bash foscam. I never bashed a user. I simply informed them that if they still can they should return the camera. I was trying to help. I wish someone would have told me that there are much better products out there. I once received a warning by an mod because we disagreed on a technical issue in one or two threads, I believe it was related to a hard drive. Dwanye sided with the mod when it was clear the moderator was being a bully. See the problem with forum admins and mods is that the power get to their heads. That wont happen here, EVER.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
After clearing the alerts / new / storage folder I still am experiencing the same issue. Randomly the resources spike and hang until a reboot, very odd. Doesn't happen on the 2 other BI machines that I have set up either.

lsmith

n3wb
Reaction score
The last few times I experienced the 100% CPU issue, I noticed that it was at night and one of my cameras constantly alerting due to a spider web or rain reflection. When I disabled said camera, the 100% issue would disappear.