Blue Iris registry file contain all camera settings?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently had to do a system restore on my Blue Iris workstation so I exported the registry file from BI to a safe location.
I also normally export each camera to it's own registry file and 90% of my 15 cameras had recent exports, only 2 didn't.
When I finished with the system restore I imported the BI registry file thinking it had all of the current cameras and settings but it did not.
I also had to re-enter the registration number upon first running BI after the restore, but that is no biggie.
Why wouldn't BI registry export have everything I need, including all of the camera settings?
Or is it not supposed to?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't recall now exactly what but I've also had to re-do some things after exporting/importing.

Ideally it should restore everything as it was, and it does largely, but these things kind of do what they do sometimes.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't recall now exactly what but I've also had to re-do some things after exporting/importing.

Ideally it should restore everything as it was, and it does largely, but these things kind of do what they do sometimes.
Guess I'll ask Ken.

Reaction score
If the BI Export doesn't capture all the settings of BI and how the cameras are setup within BI, what's the point? It's undocumented things like this that turn customers off. The cameras themselves are not going to have any settings changed when BI needs to be re-installed because of a hardware failure, or a move to an upgraded PC. I have found using a product like Macrium Reflect to be the answer, as it does a full or partial backup.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It is documented. The software backup from the Settings > About tab includes camera settings. See the 2nd screenshot below.

You can verify this yourself by holding down the shift key while exporting settings, then opening the *.reg file in a text editor.

Two excerpts from the help PDF…

1. Settings > About tab

1681246757160.jpeg

2. Camera settings > General tab

1681247013494.jpeg

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@jaydeel Now that is something I didn’t know about being able to export in .reg format.

By default Bi saves settings in what I call regdmp format and I’ve always used reg.exe to take a peek inside.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@jaydeel Now that is something I didn’t know about being able to export in .reg format.

By default Bi saves settings in what I call regdmp format and I’ve always used reg.exe to take a peek inside.
Another benefit of the human-readable *.reg file backups is that they can be modified using a code editor (I use Notepad++). I’ve used this method to do things like copy a complex motion zones map to other profiles on the same camera, and copy preset ‘On call’ action sets to other cameras.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@jaydeel, thanks for the info. Hadn't got around looking at the manual/help yet on how to transition BI to my "new" HP SSF i5-9500 to replace my non-Win11 HP.