Blue Iris Related Questions

adrianrog

n3wb
Reaction score
I've decided to put up a few cameras at my house. Since I work in IT, I have access to hundreds of IP cameras at work to test with.

I spent this week trying out different software packages. I tried most of the free products and ruled them out. I'm currently trying out Blue Iris, and it does seem usable and affordable enough for home use. Seems pretty CPU intensive, but I'm running it on a 3 core VM on my work laptop for testing.

First question - Motion detection doesn't seem to work very well, even with the Min Object Size set to 100 and Min Contrast set to 12. Has anyone else experienced that? Is there anything that can be done? Perhaps it's the Axis cameras (at work) that I'm testing with. I'm going to be using HikVision cameras at home.

Second Question - On our Avigilon systems at work, we can save the video before the motion is triggered. It can be 1 second before or 15 minutes before. Is there a way to do something similar with Blue Iris? It looks like there is an option that saves 10 seconds of video after the motion is detected, but I can't find one for before the motion is detected.

Third Question - Do you find it easier to use the Web Interface or the Client for reviewing video? Obviously, I'd prefer the web for remote viewing when not at home, or even at home since my NVR will be in the basement.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've decided to put up a few cameras at my house. Since I work in IT, I have access to hundreds of IP cameras at work to test with.

I spent this week trying out different software packages. I tried most of the free products and ruled them out. I'm currently trying out Blue Iris, and it does seem usable and affordable enough for home use. Seems pretty CPU intensive, but I'm running it on a 3 core VM on my work laptop for testing.

First question - Motion detection doesn't seem to work very well, even with the Min Object Size set to 100 and Min Contrast set to 12. Has anyone else experienced that? Is there anything that can be done? Perhaps it's the Axis cameras (at work) that I'm testing with. I'm going to be using HikVision cameras at home.

Second Question - On our Avigilon systems at work, we can save the video before the motion is triggered. It can be 1 second before or 15 minutes before. Is there a way to do something similar with Blue Iris? It looks like there is an option that saves 10 seconds of video after the motion is detected, but I can't find one for before the motion is detected.

Third Question - Do you find it easier to use the Web Interface or the Client for reviewing video? Obviously, I'd prefer the web for remote viewing when not at home, or even at home since my NVR will be in the basement.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian
Motion detection works great. you just need to read the help file on how to use it..there are video tutorials as well see links to youtube Blue Iris Video Tutorials
pretrigger motion is set in the record tab.
there is no client...just the webserver and mobile apps..but using the server is faster and allows you to view multiple cams at once in sync