Blue Iris remote access wish-list

Reaction score
Just going to toss this out. I have several BI5 servers scattered around different construction sites. It's occasionally hard, and in one case impossible to get DDNS or Static IP services from some rural ISPs. I'm also beta testing Starlink, which at this time has no Static or DDNS capability. Starlink does let me put high speed internet (currently 100 down 40 up average) in the middle of nowhere powered by a generator. Exactly the type of location that's prime for needing security cameras.

When I skimmed some the the new Remote Access features in BI5, I made a wrong assumption, and then proceeded to get very excited about it. My assumption, My bad.

I'm sure most people on this forum have used various remote access software services. LogMeIn, RemotePC, SharemyPC, etc. There are a ton of similar SAS providers in remote work, and remote support fields. Install a small client on the remote machine - go through a log-in/verification process on the cloud portal - gain full access to the remote machine (without static, IP, special routing, etc.). Anyway, the wrong assumption I made was that BI had a way to provide remote access WITHOUT creating static IPs, static routes, modifying port forwarding on routers, etc. You know, like those other software services.

Yes. It absolutely represents a reduction in security. A user who wanted such a service would have to accept that.
Yes, it would require BI to essentially host a routing/credential service in the cloud.
Yes, it's a radical departure from the local-install model that has allowed them to develop a beautiful piece of software.

On the other hand,

Many of you are paying $8-$12 a month for a static, and it's possible that a configuration-free RemoteBI SAS service for $5 a month would be appealing.
Camera access is one of the few, but possibly the most common reason for a Pro-Sumer to pursue a static IP.
It's an excellent first step into the SAS world for an add-on service for a well respected piece of software.
I assume Starlink will begin offering Static and DDNS service capability, but that's another assumption. Look how wrong I was on the last assumption ;)

So, however unlikely, this is on my wish list.

Reaction score
Yes, I did that first. Honestly not sure if I submitted to the developer, but I sent to the support email as a suggested feature. It would represent a substantial operational change and undertaking, so I think it unlikely. But loving the software, and having two separate remote connection roadblocks pop up lately made me wish out loud.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm still in the investigational phase, and this only just popped up on my radar, even though it's been around for a while--what about zerotier service?

esoteric

n3wb
Reaction score
I just came across this Zerotier tutorial specifically for the purpose of using the Blue Iris mobile app remotely. 30 minutes later I'm up and running!

I downloaded the BI mobile app almost a year ago but I've never used it because I didn't want to forward ports and I couldn't get OpenVPN configured properly... and I spent DAYS on that bitch using two or three different tutorials.

@Kelly Murphy: he starts out the video explaining that Zerotier works with Starlink.

esoteric

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update...
Remote Desktop for Android, Zerotier installed on my phone and my PC-NVR. I'm currently away from home and connected to mobile data. BI is fully functional, as is the entire NVR tower so I can open a browser and directly access the web interface settings for each camera. Totally geeking out on this. :cool:
Screenshot_20210413-171516_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

@TonyR I've noticed you're fellow Zerotier evangelist. Have you tried this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR I've noticed you're fellow Zerotier evangelist. Have you tried this?
No, I was hoping to very soon but personal issues the last 10 days have stood in the way ever since I saw it. I am going to try my best to try it out this week if things will allow it.

Thanks for the update, glad you got it going, shows promise for all us CGNAT folks out here in the boonies!