Blue Iris Status Signal:Restored

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am getting repeated messages on the Blue Iris Status page. The message is "Signal:restored." I have 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras. The messages are being generated for both cameras alternately and at seemingly random intervals. What does the message mean? What do I need to check to troubleshoot it?

System Info:

Computer Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50 GHz
Computer RAM: 8 GB
Computer OS: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit
Computer CPU Usage: ~28%
Cameras: DS-2CD2032-I
Camera Firmware: V5.3.0 build 150513
Camera Video Frame Rate: 10 FPS
Camera Video Resolution: 2048 x 1536
Camera Video Bitrate Type: Variable
Camera Video Quality: Highest
Camera Video Max Bitrate: 4096 Kbps
Camera Video Encoding: H.264
Camera Video I Frame Interval: 50
Camera Video SVC: On
Blue Iris Version: 4.1.1.5 x64
Blue Iris Frame Rate: 1000000 [10.00 fps]
Blue Iris Image Format Size: 2048 x 1536
Blue Iris Pre-trigger Frame Buffer Size: 25
Blue Iris Video Receive Buffer: 1.5 MB
Blue Iris Video Send RTSP Keep-alives? Yes
Blue Iris Video Use RTSP/Stream Timecode? Yes
Blue Iris Motion Sensor: Enabled
Blue Iris Motion Object Detect/Reject: Enabled

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@pepperfr How often is it happening? It simply means the stream was interrupted for some reason.
Side note, not related to your issue, object detect reject will cause you to miss important motion events.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the PC running Blue Iris connected via WiFi or a network cable?

It can help in some cases to increase the Video Receive buffer (in Blue Iris) a lot. Like to 30 MB even. More likely it will make no difference, but it is worth a try.

You may also try reducing the camera's I Frame Interval to 10 so that it matches the frame rate. Most of my Hikvision cams are set to exactly double the frame rate though and they are fine. Yours, at 5 times the frame rate, is a bit long.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman,

It happens probably a half dozen times a day for each camera. The restores alternate between cameras and the intervals seem to be random.

Thanks for the side note concerning object detect reject, but I have it set that way to reduce false triggers. My lighting situation at night is not good and there are lots of bugs. I know that I am missing a lot of bug action, but it seems to catch most of the raccoons, cats, coyotes, etc. It even triggers on people when they walk into the field of view.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the PC running Blue Iris connected via WiFi or a network cable?

It can help in some cases to increase the Video Receive buffer (in Blue Iris) a lot. Like to 30 MB even. More likely it will make no difference, but it is worth a try.

You may also try reducing the camera's I Frame Interval to 10 so that it matches the frame rate. Most of my Hikvision cams are set to exactly double the frame rate though and they are fine. Yours, at 5 times the frame rate, is a bit long.
Thanks bp2008. I am running Blue Iris with a network cable and gigabit poe switch. There is no wireless involved.

I will try increasing the video receive buffer and reducing the I frame interval (one at a time).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman,

It happens probably a half dozen times a day for each camera. The restores alternate between cameras and the intervals seem to be random.

Thanks for the side note concerning object detect reject, but I have it set that way to reduce false triggers. My lighting situation at night is not good and there are lots of bugs. I know that I am missing a lot of bug action, but it seems to catch most of the raccoons, cats, coyotes, etc. It even triggers on people when they walk into the field of view.
If you are only using it to watch wildlife then thats fine...but for security object detect is a big no no :)

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Solved. I changed the camera I Frame interval as bp2008 suggested. I changed it from 50 to 15. In my case at 10 FPS, I changed the I Frame interval from every 5 seconds to every 1.5 seconds. I have had no Signal:Restored messages on the Blue Iris Status page for almost a day now.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but the I Frame interval change seems to have reduced the computer CPU usage from ~28% to ~22%.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 9 cameras ( 8 are ethernet, 1 wifi) and a few times a day ALL cameras drop at the same time. It does this ONLY on V4 not V3 but anyway, I will increase the buffer and see if that helps but I looked around to see where the I FRAME INTERVAL would be so I can adjust it so can someone tell me where it is in V4? Thanks, Adam

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 9 cameras ( 8 are ethernet, 1 wifi) and a few times a day ALL cameras drop at the same time. It does this ONLY on V4 not V3 but anyway, I will increase the buffer and see if that helps but I looked around to see where the I FRAME INTERVAL would be so I can adjust it so can someone tell me where it is in V4? Thanks, Adam
Blue Iris's only iframe interval setting is configured for each encoder profile, available under the Web server tab. But this has zero impact on reliability. It is not what you are looking for.

The I-frame interval you are looking for is in the web interface of each camera (some cameras don't have it as a configurable option though).

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008, I guess that is not my problem as all 9 drop at the same time and I have like 4 different brands of cameras. I increases the buffer on a couple of cameras to see if it changes anything, if it does not help I will re-post for more help. Thanks! Adam

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Monitor the CPU and memory usage of Blue Iris, and also if your Blue Iris machine has wifi, turn it off in case it is being used by accident.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi bp2008, thanks again. Wifi was not "connected" but I just disabled it to be safe. CPU usage is great, 32% max and remember that V3 never dropped, only V4 so I am still tinkering, I will be back if my efforts do not work. Adam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Object Detect Reject and how do I enable and disable it?
That is a 2015 post. It has been replaced by object detection in motion detection settings.