Blue Iris stream reporting 1000 FPS

mgarner

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a camera sending out 30 FPS. In Blue Iris I am applying overlays and that stream reports 1000 FPS. I need it to be accurately reported as 30 FPS. In the settings there is a max rate but it defaults to 30 FPS so why is the stream reporting 1000 FPS?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

This is out of the Camera
Screenshot 2020-09-09 08.11.13.png

This is out of Blue Iris
Screenshot 2020-09-09 08.14.17.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so that is one of the live streaming methods, and I'm pretty sure all of Blue Iris's live stream methods actually use a variable frame rate based on what is available from the camera and how much time Blue Iris has to do the encoding. For example I have a 4K @ 30 FPS cam but when I stream it out of Blue Iris's web server the frame rate averages around 22 FPS and is highly variable. As another example, cameras set to use a long exposure in the dark will typically reduce their frame rates dynamically as the exposure time goes up. So a stream could start out saying "I'm 30 FPS", but end up at 3 FPS later.

The way the m3u8 streaming method works is Blue Iris encodes a series of small video files in the MPEG transport stream (MPEG-TS) format, and the client downloads and plays them sequentially. It is what UI3 uses if you right click a live video and choose "Open HLS Stream". UI3 opens that stream in an industry-standard video player component and it works fine. So I'm curious what your use case is where you need mediainfo (I'm assuming that is where your screenshots came from) to be able to read the correct frame rate from the stream.

It is possible BI wrote 1000 FPS into the MPEG-TS video files just arbitrarily, or maybe it helps with compatibility somehow. Or it could be that your app there is wrong. You'd need to ask Blue Iris support about it.

mgarner

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I am sure its an arbitrary number. As for use case, I am feeding it to an IP TV provider and they need it to be a correct value. As it is, I am having to convert the HLS to multicast to feed it to them. Everything works fine except that FPS field. I'll refer to Blue Iris support.