Blue Iris UI3

TaterSalad

n3wb
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-3_15-24-3.png upload_2018-6-3_15-24-11.png
The Blue Iris web interface has gotten a refresh!

UI3 comes with Blue Iris 4.7.3 or newer, first released April 20, 2018. It should be the default web interface in all browsers except Internet Explorer. If it isn't coming up, you can load it manually by opening this path in your web browser, replacing xxxxxx with your Blue Iris server's IP address or host name and port number if necessary.

Code:
http://xxxxxx/ui3.htm
I can't find any posts covering this problem...and bet it is something simple I have missed. Using Chrome, I am unable to get UI3 to fully load. The web page hangs with the following messages:

upload_2018-6-3_15-24-3.png

upload_2018-6-3_15-24-11.png

Any ideas as to what I need to fix?

Thanks...

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What version of BI are you on, and did you install UI3 manually or just use the version that came with it?

TaterSalad

n3wb
Reaction score
BI version 4.7.5.3 x64 on a Win10 pro i5-7500 system.

I am seeing this problem using both the version included in BI and a manual install of version 27 downloaded from Github.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
And the mobile apps still work? Can you screenshot jpegpull.htm so I can see what its camera list looks like?

TaterSalad

n3wb
Reaction score
jpegpull.htm rendered but displayed no content...so I walked through the web server settings and found that setting web server authentication to be required for all connections gets me past the UI3 error I was seeing, gives me access to the UI3 interface, and allows me to review clips (I am still working through a problem with live streaming).

Thanks for your help!

dutchguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Version 27
  • Added a new H.264 player option that uses HTML5 Media Source Extensions for more-efficient playback than the old JavaScript player. It has a few compatibility issues in some browsers, most notably MS Edge where I have disabled it by default.
I can only see the option HTML5 or Javascript in version 28 (using Firefox), is this correct?

vraicovi

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried searching through this thread, so please forgive me if this has been answered already...

Any chance that the server selection screen will be added to UI3? I think I poked around fairly thoroughly, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for all the great work you do, Brian.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried searching through this thread, so please forgive me if this has been answered already...

Any chance that the server selection screen will be added to UI3? I think I poked around fairly thoroughly, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for all the great work you do, Brian.
The main reason for the server selection screen in UI2 was that UI2 had to be installed and updated separately from Blue Iris, so there was a very real benefit to letting you use the same copy of the UI with multiple servers. That is no longer the case with UI3.

You could achieve a very similar result just by enabling your bookmark toolbar and creating a folder in it for Blue Iris links. Actually this is better since your browser can sync the bookmarks across all your devices.

I also enjoy not having to make each UI3 release backwards-compatible with all the old Blue Iris versions, as I would need to start doing if I was to support server selection.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In UI3 version 27 released Saturday (June 2nd) I added an "HTML5" player which works in all the modern browsers. This is the first version where Firefox has an H.264 Player dropdown list in UI Settings, allowing you to choose between "HTML5" and "JavaScript".

A few days earlier (Thursday), in UI3 version 25, I added a "Native" player which I renamed to "NaCl" in version 27. This player is only available in Chrome and ChromeOS and is due to stop working some time this year due to Google removing support for the framework this player was built on. You won't ever see this one in the dropdown list in Firefox.

That said, Firefox has an issue with the new HTML5 player. You'll probably notice it stutter/pause a lot, especially if you are streaming at 1080p or 4K. There is a complex reason for this but suffice it to say Firefox doesn't handle low-delay streaming well. Mozilla has known about the problem for years but chose not to fix it. There is a workaround you can try. The stutter gets worse when it has been a long time since the last keyframe, so you can reduce the stutter by reducing the keyframe interval in Blue Iris's web server streaming profiles. The lower the better. However high values result in much better image quality and bandwidth usage (that is why the default is 300!), so this is really not a great workaround. Best to just not use Firefox for UI3 as long as this is an issue, or use the JavaScript player which is fine as long as your CPU is fast enough.

dutchguy

n3wb
Reaction score
In UI3 version 27 released Saturday (June 2nd) I added an "HTML5" player which works in all the modern browsers. This is the first version where Firefox has an H.264 Player dropdown list in UI Settings, allowing you to choose between "HTML5" and "JavaScript".

A few days earlier (Thursday), in UI3 version 25, I added a "Native" player which I renamed to "NaCl" in version 27. This player is only available in Chrome and ChromeOS and is due to stop working some time this year due to Google removing support for the framework this player was built on. You won't ever see this one in the dropdown list in Firefox.

That said, Firefox has an issue with the new HTML5 player. You'll probably notice it stutter/pause a lot, especially if you are streaming at 1080p or 4K. There is a complex reason for this but suffice it to say Firefox doesn't handle low-delay streaming well. Mozilla has known about the problem for years but chose not to fix it. There is a workaround you can try. The stutter gets worse when it has been a long time since the last keyframe, so you can reduce the stutter by reducing the keyframe interval in Blue Iris's web server streaming profiles. The lower the better. However high values result in much better image quality and bandwidth usage (that is why the default is 300!), so this is really not a great workaround. Best to just not use Firefox for UI3 as long as this is an issue, or use the JavaScript player which is fine as long as your CPU is fast enough.
Thanks for your explanation!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome work on build 28 @bp2008
Using chrome and everything seems (my imagination?) run smoother.
Better picture with less load on the server. On mine it appears to use a good 5% less cpu from the Bi server.
Thanks man for your hard work!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome work on build 28 @bp2008
Using chrome and everything seems (my imagination?) run smoother.
Better picture with less load on the server. On mine it appears to use a good 5% less cpu from the Bi server.
Thanks man for your hard work!
Thanks. That 5% drop is all in your imagination though, unless you're running UI3 on the BI server. The efficiency gain is entirely in the web browser.

RobF

n3wb
Reaction score
UI3 is a MUCH improved web front end compared to the previously default BI web front end. UI3 actually makes the web access useful and brings added features like exporting clips etc. So useful that BI now has it loaded as default in the newer versions. If you browse through the posts, I believe there are some pics as it's been developed.

Can someone explain to me what UI3 is? Sorry for the ignorance but I have been out of the loop for awhile.

RobF

n3wb
Reaction score
No, UI3 is default in version 4.7.3 and newer. You are set. With that said, the developer bp2008 does constantly add improvements and features that can be tested and installed separately. He posts updates in this thread routinely.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So my BI has the UI3 added? It looked the same when I updated. Nothing seemed to change? Maybe I'm too ignorant to understand what UI3 actually is.

RobF

n3wb
Reaction score
UI3 is for Web Access user interface. So if you are looking at your cams via Chrome or Firefox, you are looking at them using the new UI3 interface. It doesn't change the look of the client. Hopefully that makes sense.