Blue Iris UI3

ibrujo

n3wb
Reaction score
For the "Key frame is required" error, just update Blue Iris to latest again. UI3 was updated to apply the current workaround automatically.

It may break again when iOS 17 comes out, and if so I will update UI3 again.
====
Thank you for your reply
Mario

DSteiNeuro

n3wb
Reaction score
Full screen icon

The full screen icon (little square in the right lower corner of ui3) is sometimes hard to hit on my touch screens (iPad, Echo Show).
It there a way to make it larger?

I could do it in ui3.htm or ui3-local-overrides.js

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few built-in UI settings that might help. This one controls UI scale in general:

1682710439353.png

While this one just adds more clickable space around all the playback controls:

1682710493566.png

To target just that one button, you could write something like this into ui3-local-overrides.css

CSS:
#clipFullscreenButton
{
    width: 35px;
    height: 35px;
}

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know very little about the issue on iOS since I don't own any modern Apple devices. My assumption is they (Apple) changed their Media Source Extensions (MSE) implementation such that it no longer accepts mp4 fragments that do not begin with a keyframe. Such a change would go largely unnoticed because the overwhelming majority of MSE usage is for VOD where all the video is already prepackaged in chunks that always begin with a keyframe. Low latency live streaming (such as what Blue Iris's web server does in ALL video streaming cases, even playing recordings) cannot function with such a requirement. The efficiency, the video delay, and the responsiveness would suffer enormously.
I've been noodling over this for awhile now. Can you think of a reason why this would have broken the UI3 client on an iOS device but not on a macOS device?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been noodling over this for awhile now. Can you think of a reason why this would have broken the UI3 client on an iOS device but not on a macOS device?
I'm sure they use plenty of shared code to be sure, but not everything is shared of course. On macOS for example it is still allowed for web browsers to include their own rendering engine.

I do not think it was a conscious decision on Apple's part to break this. The change may have been deliberate but they likely did not realize anyone used HTML5 video the way UI3 does, therefore they wouldn't have realized they were breaking anything.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If, hypothetically, one were to start a GoFundMe to buy bp2008 a modern iOS device, who would contribute?
Lmao. You realize you are basically asking for funding to send me to hell. No thank you. If the error message is at all accurate, then I couldn't fix this issue anyway. The best I could do is develop a minimal reproduction environment to send in to apple as a bug report, which they would ignore, and I would have wasted a lot of time and effort.

DSteiNeuro

n3wb
Reaction score
There are a few built-in UI settings that might help. This one controls UI scale in general:

View attachment 161345

View attachment 161346

To target just that one button, you could write something like this into ui3-local-overrides.css

CSS:
#clipFullscreenButton
{
}
Thanks, for the prompt replies. This is what I was looking for and will give it a try.
And huge thanks for ui3, I use it so
many ways!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
For the "Key frame is required" error, just update Blue Iris to latest again. UI3 was updated to apply the current workaround automatically.

It may break again when iOS 17 comes out, and if so I will update UI3 again.
Which version would this be? I just upgraded to 5.7.4.2 and have started getting the error. iOS 16.4.1

DSteiNeuro

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 161345

View attachment 161346

CSS:
#clipFullscreenButton
{
}
Thanks, these work as suggested but I still have difficulty activating the full screen icon on my touch pads.

The other icons (resolution and auto-maximize) work perfectly, so I am thinking that it is the location of the Full Screen icon at the very lower right edge of the touchscreens.
==> Any way to move the location of the full screen icon (or change the order of the icons)?
Thanks!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, these work as suggested but I still have difficulty activating the full screen icon on my touch pads.

The other icons (resolution and auto-maximize) work perfectly, so I am thinking that it is the location of the Full Screen icon at the very lower right edge of the touchscreens.
==> Any way to move the location of the full screen icon (or change the order of the icons)?
Thanks!
I struggle with this on my iPhone as well. It's take a lot of tries to finally get it selected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks!
I don't understand how this is an issue. It is no problem at all on my android phone. Are you all using badly designed cases with built in screen protectors that don't lie flush at the edges or something?

Have you tried changing the UI scale or adding padding as I recommended via UI Settings?

I could probably add an option to add more padding on the bottom, left, and right sides of the playback controls section without making the buttons larger, but I'd need to have some idea of how much is needed.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I can mess with it more later to see why it is I have issues, but I can't get UI3 to load on my phone without erroring out currently, so it might be some time before I can try again.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no issue activating full screen on my Galaxy S21 for what it’s worth. Clicking the full screen button at the bottom right puts it in full screen immediately.

Its a small amount of screen on my phone no doubt for all the things that UI3 presents. I can’t imagine having to view my cameras like that all the time. The smallest screen I typically use is an iPad and really I want my desktop monitor to see stuff even better.

DSteiNeuro

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't understand how this is an issue. It is no problem at all on my android phone. Are you all using badly designed cases with built in screen protectors that don't lie flush at the edges or something?

Have you tried changing the UI scale or adding padding as I recommended via UI Settings?

I could probably add an option to add more padding on the bottom, left, and right sides of the playback controls section without making the buttons larger, but I'd need to have some idea of how much is needed.
I think it might be an IOS thing with the icon in the far right lower corner, almost off the screen.
The other icons to the left of the full screen work fine.

The large scale and padding help but the icon is still hard to activate with touch.
It is reproducible with my iPads including a fairly new iPad Pro.

Maybe my finger is just too fat.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it might be an IOS thing with the icon in the far right lower corner, almost off the screen.
The other icons to the left of the full screen work fine.

The large scale and padding help but the icon is still hard to activate with touch.
It is reproducible with my iPads including a fairly new iPad Pro.

Maybe my finger is just too fat.
Same problem here on Ipads using UI3 and trying to get into or out of full screen mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I see the same.

BTW, the issue goes away if you add UI3 to the Home Screen (via Safari’s share icon), then open UI3 from the resulting Home Screen icon.

As a kludge fix… perhaps a dummy placeholder icon could be added at the bottom right location, shifting the existing icons to the left.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Same issue on my iPad now that you guys mention it. Strange I can activate full screen no problem on my Galaxy phone with a small scree.