Blue Iris URLs for external streams

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently using Action Tiles were I am able to use a stream as a tile on my iPad.
I am currently using the link below for a stream:
http://BI_IP:BI_PORT/mjpg/Cam_Short_Name/video.mjpg

I am noticing my CPU usage on my Blue Iris server increase about 5-10% more per stream when using these URLs.

Are there URLs to pull an image or something?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For single image(s) try these below. Of course, preface each of these URL's with "BI_server_IP:BI_Port" and delete the "{ }" curly brackets.

/image/{cam-short-name}?q=50&s=80
A single JPEG image from a specific camera or group, with optional quality (q) and scale (s) parameters. Quality is a percentage from 1-100, and scale may be any number >0.

/image/{cam-short-name}?h=100
You may also specify a specific height (h) or width (w) instead of scale.

/thumbs/{filename}
A thumbnail image from a specific file in the New clips folder.

/alerts/{filename}
A JPEG image from the Alerts folder.

Here's the most complete list of ALL BI URL's that I have:

In addition to serving HTML pages, Blue Iris can also act as a "video server." There are a number of methods for retrieving images and video from the Blue Iris web server for use on mobile devices, converting a USB camera into a web camera, or for any other purpose. Here are the paths to these methods:

/image/{cam-short-name}?q=50&s=80 A single JPEG image from a specific camera or group, with optional quality (q) and scale (s) parameters. Quality is a percentage from 1-100, and scale may be any number >0.
/image/{cam-short-name}?h=100 You may also specify a specific height (h) or width (w) instead of scale.
/mjpg/{cam-short-name}/video.mjpg An M-JPEG stream. This stream is compatible with Blue Iris's "MJPEG stream request."
/file/clips/{filename}&mode=jpeg&speed=100 An M-JPEG stream of a clip from your New clips folder. You may include additional subdirectory names in the filename. The speed parameter is optional, a percentage of normal playback speed.
/thumbs/{filename} A thumbnail image from a specific file in the New clips folder.
/alerts/{filename} A JPEG image from the Alerts folder.
/admin?profile=x&lock=y Set the active profile to x. Use x=-1 to toggle the lock status, or set the lock=y, 0=run, 1=temp, 2=hold
/admin?schedule=1 or 0 or schedule name x=0 or 1 to disable/enable Options/Schedule, or a name to set the current schedule
/admin?signal=x Changes the traffic signal state and returns the current state. x=0 for red, x=1 for green, x=2 for yellow. This requires admin authentication.
/admin?output=x&msec=y or &force=true Temporarily change the active profile to x. Use x=-1 to toggle the lock status.
/admin?input=x Set DIO output x=0-7 on for y msec, or force on indefinitely
/admin?macro=x&text={text} Set macro number x=1-9 to value {text}
/admin?console={group name} Select the specified group for display on the console, "index" is All cameras.
/admin?camera=x&trigger Trigger camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&manrec=1 or 0 Start or stop manual recording on camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&snapshot Snapshot on camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&reset Reset camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&ptzcycle=1 or 0 Trigger camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&pause=x Send pause command to camera x (short name), x=-2 to 10 matching right-click Pause menu
/admin?camera=x&enable=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&motion=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&hide=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&mdelay=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&webcast=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&preset=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&schedule=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&profile=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&alerts=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/audio/{cam-short-name}/temp.wav Pull a raw audio stream (MIME type audio/x-wav).
/cam/{cam-short-name}/pos=x Performs a PTZ command on the specified camera, where x= 0=left, 1=right, 2=up, 3=down, 4=home, 5=zoom in, 6=zoom out
/cam/{cam-short-name}/pos=100 Causes a snapshot image to be captured from the specified camera.
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.h264 Pull a raw H.264 stream (MIME type video/H264). This stream will play in a tool like VLC, and may be used in future versions of the ActiveX control.
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.ts Pull an MPEG-2 transport stream (MIME type video/MP2T).
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.m or .m3u8 Pull a virtual M3U8 file (MIME type application/vnd.apple.mpegurl). This will play in QuickTime, iPad and the iPhone using the Apple HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) format.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR For instances where the username and password are required, would this be accurate for your "trigger" command? The “curly brackets” “{ }” and the information contained therein would be replaced with the users relevant data.

http://{10.0.0.124:81}/admin?camera={Camera Short Name }&trigger&user={Username}&pw=*{Password}

Last edited:

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Currently using Action Tiles were I am able to use a stream as a tile on my iPad.
I am currently using the link below for a stream:
http://BI_IP:BI_PORT/mjpg/Cam_Short_Name/video.mjpg

I am noticing my CPU usage on my Blue Iris server increase about 5-10% more per stream when using these URLs.

Did you ever get this solved? I saw your post on the action tiles support forum as I am running into the same thing. Glad I went with the trial, but hoping you might of figured something out.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For single image(s) try these below. Of course, preface each of these URL's with "BI_server_IP:BI_Port" and delete the "{ }" curly brackets.

/image/{cam-short-name}?q=50&s=80
A single JPEG image from a specific camera or group, with optional quality (q) and scale (s) parameters. Quality is a percentage from 1-100, and scale may be any number >0.

/image/{cam-short-name}?h=100
You may also specify a specific height (h) or width (w) instead of scale.

/thumbs/{filename}
A thumbnail image from a specific file in the New clips folder.

/alerts/{filename}
A JPEG image from the Alerts folder.

Here's the most complete list of ALL BI URL's that I have:

In addition to serving HTML pages, Blue Iris can also act as a "video server." There are a number of methods for retrieving images and video from the Blue Iris web server for use on mobile devices, converting a USB camera into a web camera, or for any other purpose. Here are the paths to these methods:

/image/{cam-short-name}?q=50&s=80 A single JPEG image from a specific camera or group, with optional quality (q) and scale (s) parameters. Quality is a percentage from 1-100, and scale may be any number >0.
/image/{cam-short-name}?h=100 You may also specify a specific height (h) or width (w) instead of scale.
/mjpg/{cam-short-name}/video.mjpg An M-JPEG stream. This stream is compatible with Blue Iris's "MJPEG stream request."
/file/clips/{filename}&mode=jpeg&speed=100 An M-JPEG stream of a clip from your New clips folder. You may include additional subdirectory names in the filename. The speed parameter is optional, a percentage of normal playback speed.
/thumbs/{filename} A thumbnail image from a specific file in the New clips folder.
/alerts/{filename} A JPEG image from the Alerts folder.
/admin?profile=x&lock=y Set the active profile to x. Use x=-1 to toggle the lock status, or set the lock=y, 0=run, 1=temp, 2=hold
/admin?schedule=1 or 0 or schedule name x=0 or 1 to disable/enable Options/Schedule, or a name to set the current schedule
/admin?signal=x Changes the traffic signal state and returns the current state. x=0 for red, x=1 for green, x=2 for yellow. This requires admin authentication.
/admin?output=x&msec=y or &force=true Temporarily change the active profile to x. Use x=-1 to toggle the lock status.
/admin?input=x Set DIO output x=0-7 on for y msec, or force on indefinitely
/admin?macro=x&text={text} Set macro number x=1-9 to value {text}
/admin?console={group name} Select the specified group for display on the console, "index" is All cameras.
/admin?camera=x&trigger Trigger camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&manrec=1 or 0 Start or stop manual recording on camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&snapshot Snapshot on camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&reset Reset camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&ptzcycle=1 or 0 Trigger camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&pause=x Send pause command to camera x (short name), x=-2 to 10 matching right-click Pause menu
/admin?camera=x&enable=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&motion=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&hide=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&mdelay=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&webcast=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&preset=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&schedule=1 or 0 Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&profile=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/admin?camera=x&alerts=x Enable or disable camera x (short name)
/audio/{cam-short-name}/temp.wav Pull a raw audio stream (MIME type audio/x-wav).
/cam/{cam-short-name}/pos=x Performs a PTZ command on the specified camera, where x= 0=left, 1=right, 2=up, 3=down, 4=home, 5=zoom in, 6=zoom out
/cam/{cam-short-name}/pos=100 Causes a snapshot image to be captured from the specified camera.
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.h264 Pull a raw H.264 stream (MIME type video/H264). This stream will play in a tool like VLC, and may be used in future versions of the ActiveX control.
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.ts Pull an MPEG-2 transport stream (MIME type video/MP2T).
/h264/{cam-short-name}/temp.m or .m3u8 Pull a virtual M3U8 file (MIME type application/vnd.apple.mpegurl). This will play in QuickTime, iPad and the iPhone using the Apple HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) format.
I assimilated these into a URL for networking neophytes format, and had a couple of questions that arose for me during the process:

This may be an obvious answer, but what is the below triggering the camera to do?
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&trigger&user=Username&pw=Password
Function: Triggers the specified camera to send an alert to the user???
Example URL
: http://10.0.0.124:8081/admin?camera=CameraShortName&trigger&user=Username&pw=Password

I haven't actually installed BI yet, and maybe this would be clear when I actually try this in the pause menu, but what does X represent?
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&pause=X
Function: Pauses recording the specified camera matching right-click Pause menu. (X = -2-10)
Example URL: http://10.0.0.124:8081/admin?camera=CameraShortName&pause=X

Not sure at all about this, but is it a motion delay, and what does X represent?
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&mdelay=X
Function: Add a motion delay to the specified camera???. (X = ???).
Example URL
: http://10.0.0.124:8081/admin?camera=CameraShortName&mdelay=X

I assume "pos" represents position? What does 100 represent, and is there a range of values possible?
Command: /cam/CameraShortName/pos=100 (What does this number represent?)
Function: Captures a single snapshot image from the specified camera.
Example URL: http://10.0.0.124:8081/cam/CameraShortName/pos=100

Thanks for any input.

Mark

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&trigger&user=Username&pw=Password
Function: Triggers the specified camera to send an alert to the user???
This command applies an "external" trigger to the camera. It is identical to right-clicking on the camera in BI and selecting "Trigger now", or by clicking the "Trigger now" button in the Camera Properties | Trigger dialog

An alert will be sent to users only if "Send a push notification to mobile app" is checked the Camera Properties | Alerts dialog for the active Profile, and the same Profile is checked in the BI Options | Users | Edit User | Notifications dialog.

Note: Alerts created by using these commands are differentiated in BI's cliplist with the label "External".

I haven't actually installed BI yet, and maybe this would be clear when I actually try this in the pause menu, but what does X represent?
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&pause=X
Function: Pauses recording the specified camera matching right-click Pause menu. (X = -2-10)
[x] ... [0] off, [1] 30s, [2] 5m, [3] 30m, [4] 1h, [5] 2h, [6] 3h, [7] 5h, [8] 10h, [9] 24h, [10] 15m, [-1] indefinitely

Notes:
1) Pause commands are additive... i.e., if you send &pause=10, then &pause=2 in succession, the camera will be paused for approximately 20 minutes.
2) Pausing a camera is equivalent to using BI's traffic signal, but just for the specified camera.
3) Camera pause (and traffic signal) options (disable recording, disable alerts, etc.) are managed globally... see the Blue Iris Options | Other dialog.

Not sure at all about this, but is it a motion delay, and what does X represent?
Command: /admin?camera=CameraShortName&mdelay=X
Function: Add a motion delay to the specified camera???. (X = ???).
I've not figured this one out either.

I assume "pos" represents position? What does 100 represent, and is there a range of values possible?
Command: /cam/CameraShortName/pos=100 (What does this number represent?)
Function
: Captures a single snapshot image from the specified camera.
The number is a 'ptz command'.
You can find most of the following in BI's help (search 'JSON Interface').
x= 0..6: Left, right, Up, Down, Home, Zoom in, Zoom out **
8..10: Power mode, 50, 60, or outdoor
11..26: Brightness 0-15
27..33: Contrast 0-6
34..35: IR on, off
37: Reboot (not in BI's help; discovered by trial and error)
100: Snapshot
101..120: Go to preset position 1..20

** With these commands, you may want to also use
&updown=0|1
0 = send "complementary "stop" event
1 = move camera for a preset duration (usually to end of motion)

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the PTZ URL command for the preset positions to work? They work for me in the blue iris web interface (so I know blue iris can control the camera presents) but not in the URL commands. I can do the left/right commands fine in the URL, but the pos=101, 102, 103 etc is not activating the presets 1, 2, 3.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This command applies an "external" trigger to the camera. It is identical to right-clicking on the camera in BI and selecting "Trigger now", or by clicking the "Trigger now" button in the Camera Properties | Trigger dialog

An alert will be sent to users only if "Send a push notification to mobile app" is checked the Camera Properties | Alerts dialog for the active Profile, and the same Profile is checked in the BI Options | Users | Edit User | Notifications dialog.

Note: Alerts created by using these commands are differentiated in BI's cliplist with the label "External".

[x] ... [0] off, [1] 30s, [2] 5m, [3] 30m, [4] 1h, [5] 2h, [6] 3h, [7] 5h, [8] 10h, [9] 24h, [10] 15m, [-1] indefinitely

Notes:
1) Pause commands are additive... i.e., if you send &pause=10, then &pause=2 in succession, the camera will be paused for approximately 20 minutes.
2) Pausing a camera is equivalent to using BI's traffic signal, but just for the specified camera.
3) Camera pause (and traffic signal) options (disable recording, disable alerts, etc.) are managed globally... see the Blue Iris Options | Other dialog.

I've not figured this one out either.

The number is a 'ptz command'.
You can find most of the following in BI's help (search 'JSON Interface').
x= 0..6: Left, right, Up, Down, Home, Zoom in, Zoom out **
8..10: Power mode, 50, 60, or outdoor
11..26: Brightness 0-15
27..33: Contrast 0-6
34..35: IR on, off
37: Reboot (not in BI's help; discovered by trial and error)
100: Snapshot
101..120: Go to preset position 1..20

** With these commands, you may want to also use
&updown=0|1
0 = send "complementary "stop" event
1 = move camera for a preset duration (usually to end of motion)
Never saw notification of this reply (via Tapatalk ); thanks for all the great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the PTZ URL command for the preset positions to work? They work for me in the blue iris web interface (so I know blue iris can control the camera presents) but not in the URL commands. I can do the left/right commands fine in the URL, but the pos=101, 102, 103 etc is not activating the presets 1, 2, 3.
I believe I did do this, but I'm not where I can check right now. IIRC it was just the number like 1 or 2 not 101 or 102.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
http://192.168.0.10/cam/Garage/pos=1 is a left turn, pos=0 is a right turn.

pos=101 is supposedly preset 1, but this is not working for me.

I think the issue is that when I look at the blue iris PTZ config for the camera, the camera is telling it that the "name/value" for the first preset is "000" not '1'. The name/value for preset two is "001", etc.

I tried pos=10001, 100001, etc but that didn't work either.

Bill Scruggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try
/admin?camera=x&preset=n
It is much easier.

When using the pos command the positions 0-6 are used for move up,dn left, right, ect. So to got to preset 1 you would use 7, 8 for preset 2.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bill Scruggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the same problem with authentication. I had to setup another user other than "admin" that had administrative rights, and use that name for authentication.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I tried both the admin login and other users (with admin rights), same error.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
http://BlueIrisIP:port/admin?camera=Cam2&preset=1
The above is what I use with my PTZ cam in BI and preset 1 is preset 1 on the cam.
I also had some advice about the login:
I just gave this a shot in my browser. If I'm not authenticated to Blue Iris as an admin, it still returns code 200 but the response body is "Authorization required" and the command doesn't take effect.

I suggest you use the web server > Advanced feature "Limit IP addresses" and enter the IP this traffic is coming from along with a ^ like this:

Code:
^192.168.0.10
and that will make connections from the address always receive admin privilege without having to log in.
This worked for me.

Jason R

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This helped get rid of the authentication issues, thanks.

I'm still having issues getting this to work with CURL, despite it working in a webbrowser.

This works fine:
curl http://192.168.0.120/cam/Garage2/pos=1

But this doesn't:
curl http://192.168.0.120/admin?camera=Garage2&preset=5

(both commands work fine in a webbrowser)

This second command is getting a correct response from blue iris -

signal=green
profile=-1
lock=0
camera=Garage 2

Just like the webbrowser version does, with the except the camera isn't moving with CURL. I suspect it has something to do with a PUT vs GET command or something, but can't figure it out.

EDIT: Figured it out. The correct CURL command is:

curl 'http://192.168.0.120/admin?camera=Garage2&preset=1'

Last edited:

davo22

n3wb
Reaction score
Cannot get the blue iris mjpeg URL to work.

Just gives a 404 error not found.

Do I need to enable anything in blue iris for this to work?

Cheers

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cannot get the blue iris mjpeg URL to work.

Just gives a 404 error not found.

Do I need to enable anything in blue iris for this to work?

Cheers
1) Yes. In BI 'Options', check 'enable the HTTP web server on port' and put in your BI port, such as 81, etc.
2) Also, it would help if you mention the specific URL you're trying, such as:
Code:
http://192.168.1.239:81/mjpg/Cam3/video.mjpg
3) FYI, Internet Explorer won't play the MJPEG stream from URL; use Chrome (first choice) or Firefox.

EDIT: VLC will also play the above URL as a network stream if in Blue Iris 'Users' that 'Anonymous' is checked so no authentication is required. I'd also check 'LAN' only

Last edited: