Blue Iris with an NVR

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I broke down and purchased an NVR. Will I be able to use Blue Iris to view the cameras through the NVR? It's the LTN8608-P8.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting comment on the NVR. I installed a similar unit in a commercial setting 1.5 years ago, and it hasn't skipped a beat. The NVR will be used for my set it and forget it cameras, and I'll have the Blue Iris license for incompatible cameras to play with.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I've had a couple of new learning today that I'll share for those to who it may not be readily apparent.
  1. AN NVR does not handle motion detection. It seems like the NVR accepts motion sending event flag and simply marks the event. I've been using BlueIris on an old computer for a couple of years, and so I assumed that motion sensing was performed at the NVR to relieve some of the burden from the camera.
  2. Just because a camera can do motion sensing, doesn't mean that it can pass that information over to the NVR. I have a Top-201 that's been running on BI for a few years now. It's never skipped a beat. I can record it's stream with my LTS DVR, but not the event triggers. This was not an issue with BlueIris.
Are these revelations accurate? Would anyone be able to tell me how to pass along the motion sensing event to the NVR?

I still like having the NVR separate from the computer. And I may have to go back to using BlueIris, but I can't buy the machine until next year.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've had a couple of new learning today that I'll share for those to who it may not be readily apparent.
  1. AN NVR does not handle motion detection. It seems like the NVR accepts motion sending event flag and simply marks the event. I've been using BlueIris on an old computer for a couple of years, and so I assumed that motion sensing was performed at the NVR to relieve some of the burden from the camera.
  2. Just because a camera can do motion sensing, doesn't mean that it can pass that information over to the NVR. I have a Top-201 that's been running on BI for a few years now. It's never skipped a beat. I can record it's stream with my LTS DVR, but not the event triggers. This was not an issue with BlueIris.
Are these revelations accurate? Would anyone be able to tell me how to pass along the motion sensing event to the NVR?

I still like having the NVR separate from the computer. And I may have to go back to using BlueIris, but I can't buy the machine until next year.
yes that is correct...
if the camera supports onvif, you can try setting it up as an onvif stream...its "supposed" to pass motion events to the nvr...but all onvif is not created equal...for the price of the nvr you can buy a pc that will handle your cams running blue iris. Have you tried using the lts/hikvision mobile app yet for playback? you will want to pull your hair out.

Reactions: VRC

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Platinum app to view the streams. Has always worked find at my commercial location. Guess there is a different use scenario for my personal use.

Is there any word when BI will support Smart Events?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Platinum app to view the streams. Has always worked find at my commercial location. Guess there is a different use scenario for my personal use.

Is there any word when BI will support Smart Events?
no...there is no reason for BI to support smart events because blue iris zone crossing is far superior and much more customization than smart events. Try fast forwarding through events using the hikvision app...or pinpointing an event using the timeline of the hikvision app...waste of time.

Reactions: VRC