Blue Iris with Hikvision NVR - Connectivity

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I decided to start a new thread as I am hoping this may help other people in the same situation. First my network detail:

- HikVision NVR - DS-7616NI:
- LAN IP 192.168.1.*
- Internal NVR Camera Subnet 192.168.254.*
- Hikvision NVR doing standard port forwarding between the two subnets

In trying to connect BI using the port forwarding that the NVR is doing, although it works but I get random i/o errors. However in moving one of my cameras to sit on the 192.168.1.* subnet, connecting BI to that IP address is perfect and super stable. Then connecting the same Camera to the NVR via the 192.168.1.* subnet also works perfectly.

Light Bulb Moment - instead of changing IPs of all my Cameras why not get BI to sit on the same subnet as the internal NVR i.e 192.168.254.*. This was a no go as I discovered that pinging between IPs doesn't work so BI cannot see any cameras. I am sure that there is a way around that, perhaps through the Linux backend but I am not great with Linux.

Now I will have to change the IPs of all my Cameras so BI can pick them up. Ill update this thread with my findings once done.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Streaming directly from cams to BI is better anyway...and it doesn't have anything to do with "the Linux backend".

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Are there any best practises that I should do when I put the Cameras on my LAN subnet? I am thinking of putting them on their own VLAN and limiting internet access within that VLAN. Thoughts?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Are there any best practises that I should do when I put the Cameras on my LAN subnet? I am thinking of putting them on their own VLAN and limiting internet access within that VLAN. Thoughts?
I do use BI (Blue Iris) but not with a NVR (I use a POE switch with cams) but I think if your NVR is POE then the cams are pretty much on their on private LAN and you can plug your into a spare POE port on the NVR and access the cams with BI that way.

I'm not up on VLANs with BI so I'll defer to the expertise of @SouthernYankee , @crw030 , @mat200 , @fenderman or many, many others here.

Reaction score
Update - your absolutely right TonyR, I simply put PI on one of the NVR ports and bingo. I had a weird moment there where I presumed it didn't work. Well that was easy, now that I have my 6 cameras working in BI I need to figure out motion settings plus how to lessen CPU usage. Any tips in particular to the CPU?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update - your absolutely right TonyR, I simply put PI on one of the NVR ports and bingo. I had a weird moment there where I presumed it didn't work. Well that was easy, now that I have my 6 cameras working in BI I need to figure out motion settings plus how to lessen CPU usage. Any tips in particular to the CPU?

Thanks
1) Glad I could help.
2) What @Edcfish said.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, the article was awesome took my CPU from 100% down to a mere 35. Is there a way to copy profile settings from one to another? in BI4 this was possible but I cannot see any easy way in BI5

Reaction score
Thank you - I must be going blind though - - "Set the sync to clone from camera/profiles you want to copy"

I can only find mention of profile in Camera settings--->Trigger

Reaction score
So does anyone have any ideas on how to copy settings from one profile to another?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So does anyone have any ideas on how to copy settings from one profile to another?
I found this below on page 55 of Blue Iris 5 "Help" (the new term for copying from one profile to the other is "synchronization"). For now, that's all I got, as I have BI4 at the house and BI5 is at a client's house 20 miles away and he NEVER seems to be at home.....probably why he's got the cams. Anyway, hope this helps:

Attachments