Blue Jay captured on IPC-T5842T-ZE

IggyCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm till exploring what can be done to capture birds feeding with security cameras. One of the challenges is getting up close videos that are in focus. Most of these security cameras aren't really designed for focusing on objects that are 12" away from the subject.

I believe the larger sensors, while good for gathering light also contribute to very shallow depth of field when subjects are up close, which presents a fairly big challenge, trying to get the birds to feed within that narrow depth of field that is in focus.

This is the only 8MP camera I have right now, and it's got a 1/1.8" sensor, it provides a really nice picture, but wow, at this distance and focal length, I think the depth of field that's in good focus is probably less than 12" total.

IggyCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went and watched the video again, frame by frame... I like that he holds up the seed triumphantly after retrieving it.

Strange thing is that moments later he actually puts it back down with the rest of the seed, looks around carefully at the seed and picks up something else. Seems like maybe he was just having fun or trying to impress some other bird nearby or something.triumphant Blue Jay.jpg