Blueiris Email

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When tring to set up the gmail on Blueiris i keep getting a message 515-5-,7,8 that the credentials are incorrect. The user and password are correct and I can loginto the gmail account on the browser so I know the credentials are correct. I have allowed less secure apps and also added Blue iris but no help. I created an app password for the gmail account and no help. The Blueiris app has been on this server since I built it 6 years ago and worked well until I moved and installed 6 new cameras. I am reluctant to reinstall Blueiris as its time consuming to reinstall all the cameras. I have tried the export,import function but not sure what it does for me. The manual is not clear on this feature. Everone on this blog is certainly smarter than I am so I am hoping for some guidance in getting Blueiris e -mail tab to acept the correct credentials .
Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With e-mail providers and cellular providers constantly working to eliminate bots/spam or pegging their available bandwidth with attachments, I doubt the future holds much hope for reliability and consistency in delivery using SMTP.

I got tired of extreme delays or no-shows with BI alerts via SMS/text and went to Pushover several months ago. BI can tell me within 2 seconds the nature of the alert with a custom text. It's a one-time $5 fee for up to 10,000 messages per month per “application token” and its API is well documented. ==>> Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just interested, how does this guy make his money? $5 doesn't cover the cost of 10K sms per month. I have to wonder what data is being gathered and sold to fund these. Your phone number maybe?

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With e-mail providers and cellular providers constantly working to eliminate bots/spam or pegging their available bandwidth with attachments, I doubt the future holds much hope for reliability and consistency in delivery using SMTP.

I got tired of extreme delays or no-shows with BI alerts via SMS/text and went to Pushover several months ago. BI can tell me within 2 seconds the nature of the alert with a custom text. It's a one-time $5 fee for up to 10,000 messages per month per “application token” and its API is well documented. ==>> Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks
Thanks for the response. I agree using smtp with Blueiris is a no go. I am taking your advise and will see if I can use Pushover. Do I still need to set up an email server with Blueiris. I will search for a site with instructions to make it happen. I must apologize for needing help but I am 84 and not as sharp as I once was. Thanks again

Reaction score
What version of Blue Iris are you using? I'm using Gmail without any issues (only for status alerts). Blue Iris incorporated Gmail OAuth about a year or so ago. You need to sign into your Gmail using OAuth. If I remember correctly you need to enable 2 factor authentication in Gmail before you can use OAuth.

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What version of Blue Iris are you using? I'm using Gmail without any issues (only for status alerts). Blue Iris incorporated Gmail OAuth about a year or so ago. You need to sign into your Gmail using OAuth. If I remember correctly you need to enable 2 factor authentication in Gmail before you can use OAuth.
Thanks

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am usiing Blueiris 5 I will set up the 2 step on my email on Blueiris. My setup is simple as I built a cube machine using an intel I5 with graphics running at 4.4. I put 16gb of ram in it and a 8tb ssd. This has ran 7 cameras for 3 years but I moved and had to reinstall 6 new 4k cameras. All works well as I only record when motion is sensed. I just hit a block with the email on Blueiris so will try your tip tomorrow
Thanks again

Reaction score
I am usiing Blueiris 5 I will set up the 2 step on my email on Blueiris. My setup is simple as I built a cube machine using an intel I5 with graphics running at 4.4. I put 16gb of ram in it and a 8tb ssd. This has ran 7 cameras for 3 years but I moved and had to reinstall 6 new 4k cameras. All works well as I only record when motion is sensed. I just hit a block with the email on Blueiris so will try your tip tomorrow
Thanks again
No Problem. But which version of Blue Iris 5 are you using? There have been many different version over the past 4 to 5 years. only the most recent versions of BI 5 supports Google OAuth. Also, I hope you're not recording to that 8TB SSD. Unless you have a enterprise grade SSD it's not designed for that. The operating system, BI and BI's database folder should be on the SSD. The cameras should be recording to a separate surveillance rated HDD such as the Western Digital Purple series.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should you later decide to go with Pushover, this should be of some help:

Go to the very first post by @jaydeel regarding using Pushover and follow the examples, replacing his credentials with YOUR credentials that you got from Pushover when you signed up. Read ALL of it on a PC, not a tablet, and customize it for YOUR needs.

Excerpt from his post:

"Required & optional edits:
  • You must replace the placeholders YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE.
  • You must edit the 'attachment' string to reflect the actual path to your Blue Iris 'Alerts' folder.
  • Placeholders YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE and YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE are optional. Leave as is, or edit them as desired. For the former, you can specify multiple devices using a comma delimiter. Keep in mind that these are devices names as shown in your Pushover account."
You can test by going to a command prompt in Windows 10 and pasting your script into it and then hit <enter> . I suggest Win 10 because it definitely has Curl and you can paste into a command prompt window. If you have the syntax, credentials, etc. correct, it will send the message promptly to the device (smartphone or tablet) that has the Pushover app installed on it.

Below is something very simple for you AFTER you've signed up with Pushover and got your Token and User Key for your first API script. It will send the message "TEST MESSAGE!" to your device. You could name your first token "Test" or whatever.. Insert YOUR info where indicated. Copy and paste into Notepad to modify.

Code:
curl.exe https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=INSERT-YOUR-TOKEN-HERE" --form-string "user=INSERT-YOUR-USER-KEY-HERE" --form-string "message=TEST MESSAGE!"

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should you later decide to go with Pushover, this should be of some help:

Go to the very first post by @jaydeel regarding using Pushover and follow the examples, replacing his credentials with YOUR credentials that you got from Pushover when you signed up. Read ALL of it on a PC, not a tablet, and customize it for YOUR needs.

Excerpt from his post:

"Required & optional edits:
  • You must replace the placeholders YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE.
  • You must edit the 'attachment' string to reflect the actual path to your Blue Iris 'Alerts' folder.
  • Placeholders YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE and YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE are optional. Leave as is, or edit them as desired. For the former, you can specify multiple devices using a comma delimiter. Keep in mind that these are devices names as shown in your Pushover account."
You can test by going to a command prompt in Windows 10 and pasting your script into it and then hit <enter> . I suggest Win 10 because it definitely has Curl and you can paste into a command prompt window. If you have the syntax, credentials, etc. correct, it will send the message promptly to the device (smartphone or tablet) that has the Pushover app installed on it.

Below is something very simple for you AFTER you've signed up with Pushover and got your Token and User Key for your first API script. It will send the message "TEST MESSAGE!" to your device. You could name your first token "Test" or whatever.. Insert YOUR info where indicated. Copy and paste into Notepad to modify.

Code:
curl.exe https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=INSERT-YOUR-TOKEN-HERE" --form-string "user=INSERT-YOUR-USER-KEY-HERE" --form-string "message=TEST MESSAGE!"
Thanks, Will follow your advice.

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With Gmail you should have 2-factor enabled and be using App passwords. You create a separate password per App and instead of using your Gmail password you use your Gmail email address and the new App password you created.

Works reliably for me, with multiple photos received seconds after the alert was triggered.

Email is not going anywhere, its the standard for business as it is secure and reliable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With Gmail you should have 2-factor enabled and be using App passwords. You create a separate password per App and instead of using your Gmail password you use your Gmail email address and the new App password you created.

Works reliably for me, with multiple photos received seconds after the alert was triggered.

Email is not going anywhere, its the standard for business as it is secure and reliable.
Its delayed and unreliable particularly when google suspects you are sending spam after many alerts. If you are a user who gets many emails i can also be easily missed. Instant alerts via pushover is much more efficient and more easily customizable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - if you use email you need to make sure that your triggers are nailed down so that it isn't sending too many.

Further, if you have two or more cameras that could trigger at the same time, that is a quick way to get the algorithm to think it is spam. It happened to me several times.

Before I went to pushover, I ended up putting in small delays on the cameras that could trigger at the same time so that the emails were not sent at same time.

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its delayed and unreliable particularly when google suspects you are sending spam after many alerts. If you are a user who gets many emails i can also be easily missed. Instant alerts via pushover is much more efficient and more easily customizable.
I've never had an issue wit BI or any other device. My understanding was that the limit was 500 per day, but I could see how speed triggers it as well. I guess API access would be the only solution to this.

That said if you are using Workspace the limits are much higher.

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman

Cliff Pitts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've never had an issue wit BI or any other device. My understanding was that the limit was 500 per day, but I could see how speed triggers it as well. I guess API access would be the only solution to this.

That said if you are using Workspace the limits are much higher.
Thanks for replying

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curious how many cameras people have and and how many back to back notifications gets you marked as spam?