BlueIris isn't recording smoothly

senrab

n3wb
Reaction score
We've recently added a 9th camera to our BI install (10 cams in total, we have a duplicate that doesn't record).

Since then, BI seems to be struggling with the smoothness of recording. We use direct to disk and I have the time embedded from the IP cam - watching the seconds tick over, all the cams on BI will stall. For example, it stalls on 12:35:10 seconds, pause... I get 12:35:11...pause... it rapidly increases to 12:35:19. I've attached a video that might help explain better!

This happens on all cameras both using the app and on the monitor attached to BlueIris directly. It means BI is missing ~5-10 seconds of the recordings during a motion trigger - makes it pretty useless.

Whilst this is happening, the Windows 10 clock ticks over very nicely every second. I've got Perf Mon running also and that updates constantly with a CPU usage of about 30 - 40%. GPU is about 40%. Disk IO is also low (Both SSD and spinning metal WD Purple).

I'm convinced it isn't a hardware issue, more of a software issue. Or is it something else?

Any help would be super appreciated.

View attachment IMG_7782.MOV

senrab

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, yes, I read most of that stuff on a regular basis / when BlueIris is being a pain.

The CPU isn't high. It's averaging 30% - 40% so I am not totally sure it is a CPU issue

✔ Direct-to-disc recording
Done years ago :)

✔Hardware accelerated decoding
I've just changed to "Intel Beta", I can't find much documentation on it, but it's increased CPU usage (Intel Core i7-4790) quite a bit. (And restarted the app & service)

✔Camera frame rates
I've set to 15, but BI seems to randomly increase them to 20/23

✔ Run as a service
Done years ago.

✔ Live preview frame rate
Matches the optimisation guide

✔ Video scaling

✔ Text and Graphic Overlays
These are always off. I didn't think they worked with Direct-to-disk recording

✔ Encoder preset

✋ Limit decoding unless required
This was on recently. I turned it off today in anticipation of setting up sub steams and CPU usage doesn't seem to have changed at all, nor has the original problem been resolved.

✔ Windows Power Options

✔ Antivirus / Antimalware exception
The BI folder on C: and the entire Z: (WD Purple) is excluded. Pretty sure this are irrelevant as real time protection is disabled.

✔ Disk Defragmenter
I can't find this WIndows 10. I'm not sure if this is relevant.

✋ Sub streams
I've been waiting to try these, but I've held off. I've just tried this on 3 different cameras (All Hik, but various versions). I've had poor results.
Camera 1 - Substream covered about 1/4 of the screen
Camera 2 & 3 - Was out of proportion

Not amount of changing the settings directly on the camera would resolve this. There is also an issue, that the web app seems to use the substream for live view, this isn't great. Soloing a few cameras doesn't load the main stream, just the sub stream. There are some bugs to iron out still.

So anyway, I still have the odd delays shown in the video in my first post! :)

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You know what senrab, mine’s now intermittently started to do the same thing. I’m a sucker for installing the latest updates even though I haven’t as yet started to use the new features apart from viewing the sense and trigger rectangles on the console. Did you try installing an earlier version of software?

The video sometimes freezes for 2 or 3 seconds even though the time and date window adjacent to the video position slider in the timeline viewer clocks along fine. I don’t have a massively powerful PC but like you, the CPU hovers at around 30% for my 11x2MP cameras - no other apps running on the PC.

senrab

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I was running quite an early version of 5. I'm a sucker for leaving it well alone!

I've just recently installed the latest version. After my earlier post, I'm having a little success with substreams, cameras using substreams are not jerking about, however I do have new issues with BI recording from the sub stream, not the main stream, one step forwards, two backwards.