BlueIris maxing out CPU, ONLY when using WebUI via PC Browser

sytanek

n3wb
Reaction score
BlueIris maxing out CPU, ONLY when using WebUI via PC Browser. Using the older UI or UI3, doesn't matter if set to H264, or JPEG. The CPU will jump 20percent or so 3 or 4 times after about 5 seconds, and then pegs at 99%. Closing the Browser window does nothing to help recover. Only thing I can do is pray the box responds long enough for me to kill the process. System will work perfectly until I open the WebUI again. Normal idle cpu is 7-8%. Mobile App cpu is 15-17%. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Specs -
Intel i5-3470 8 Gig Ram
7 Dahua Cameras, 4MP, 6K bitrate Constant, 15fps.
Recording on Trigger only, Direct to Disk on SSD.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are using the Limit decoding unless required flag and that is the only reason your CPU usage isn't pegged all the time.

The thing you need to realize about that setting is it gets temporarily turned off for any camera that is being streamed to a mobile app or web UI and there is no way to change that.

Make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled and working as described here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

Though you may need to cut the frame rates back further (10 FPS?) or upgrade to a faster PC.

sytanek

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008, you are correct and I do have that setting enabled. Based on your statement tho, I should see the same behavior when using the mobile app or webui, but I don't, it only happens with the webui. Fortunately, with the Mobile App streaming I only hit about 20% cpu max and it performs amazing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the mobile app is probably not loading to the All cameras view by default. That is specifically what triggers your huge CPU rise because it takes all the cameras out of "limit decoding" mode at the same time. Usage rises at a somewhat staggered pace probably because full decoding begins at the next iframe which could be 1-4 seconds away at any given time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, so again I recommend reducing frame rates until CPU usage remains under control with one or two web UIs open.

Update: Blue Iris now has a better solution for this. Uncheck the "Require/decode all camera frames when streaming" option for any of your large groups. See screenshot below.

As an alternative, try turning off webcasting of the "all cameras" group and of any other groups that contain a large number of cameras, and that will help keep CPU usage under control. It isn't foolproof, as cycling through all the cameras rapidly could still result in pegged CPU usage. And UI3 isn't really designed to be used in this way, but it works, you'll just need to switch between cameras using the Current Group dropdown.

Last edited:

sytanek

n3wb
Reaction score
I went ahead and dropped the cameras down to 2mp instead of 4mp resolution, and cpu is now happy idling at 25-30% with webui open. I will also try out your suggestion above. Thanks for the quick help today!

nick.s

n3wb
Reaction score
After reading many posts about the CPU issue because our system of 23 cameras kept maxing out after 24 hours I found what I thought to be an odd fix. We use all Amcrest camera's and I installed them with default settings. I happened to watch an install video by Amcrest for Blue Iris thinking what could it hurt. Their video showed using a different port for the camera vs the default. When I stopped using the RTSP port and used the TCP port, my CPU dropped and has stayed below 25% for 3 solid days.

I had to do this for each camera manually, but it appears to be helping in a big way. It's possible this just fixed something I did wrong initially, but if others have a similar issue it's worth trying.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 8.36.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 8.36.33 AM.png

nick.s

n3wb
Reaction score
I am aware of the memory leak issue and have looked into it extensively. Nothing was helping our CPU stop maxing after 8 hours, 12 hours and even 24 hours. I was working out details to purchase a simple GPU so Windows 10 wouldn't even use the default video driver. However, the TCP port idea was the first change that kept it not only from maxing, but in the low 20% range for DAYS...I thought I would share as a possible random fix others might want to simply try. All our camera's are 2MP, 10 or 12 FPS with a max bit rate of 1200 using CBR. I have 18 more camera's to add and hope this fix holds strong.

sytanek

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I am going to look into both of these, and will install the driver mentioned on the memory leak page. I have narrowed down my issue more, and as long as I use either the native gui OR the webui by itself, the box idles at approx 25-30% and is rock solid. I can even open the webui up on multiple PC's and have several mobile apps connected without much increase. My issue is specifically when the native gui and even a single instance of the webui is open. Fortunately I don't manually delete recordings, and WebUI3 is a decent interface, so I have been sticking to just using it.