BlueIris Software ... Bandwidth Hog and Upgrade Problem

JohnW

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my first posting with sever bandwidth reduction running BI 3.

Running two locations with upload speeds of 5 and 7 mbs at both locations. Download speeds of 20 mbs at both locations. Cable Modem at both locations. Location 1 has 16 cameras ... location 2 has 8 cameras.

I originally setup the software at location 1 and them moved the server computer to location 2. Both locations are connected by VPN (zywall USG 20 Firewall / VPN routers). When software is running at location 2, the Transfer speed (bandwidth) is severely limited. Up/download speeds at location 1 is cut to 0.5 to 1.5 mbs. This configuration renders the internet usage at location 1 to "non usable".

Perhaps I can reconfigure the setup to minimize the loss bandwidth at location. Should I uninstall the Blue Iris 3 software and reinstall????

Also, today when attempting to update the BlueIrisSoftware 3 ... I downloaded the upgrade 32bit, ran the software and receive an error message " Application path not found--please run the software before attempting to update it."

I need help in updating the installed software.

I purchased the software from Amazon Oct 22,2014.

Thanks for your assistance.
John@GoWfg.net

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have three basic options, either reduce the bandwidth usage by lowering the quality on the remote cams (or pull a substream), run a second server at the remote location , or pay for faster upload speeds if available.
Re installing blue iris wont help at all.
The update on the website is for the new version 4...its will not work to update your blue iris 3 install.

JohnW

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response... can you explain the steps to "Pull a Substream". I understand that I can improve my bandwidth by Removing Cams. Is there another method to help my situation short of removing cams?

Also, to upgrade to BI 4, I assume there is a charge to me ... please understand that I purchased the latest software release in October of 2014. Perhaps there is a "new buyer or user" upgrade to BI 4.

I appreciate your response.

John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response... can you explain the steps to "Pull a Substream". I understand that I can improve my bandwidth by Removing Cams. Is there another method to help my situation short of removing cams?

Also, to upgrade to BI 4, I assume there is a charge to me ... please understand that I purchased the latest software release in October of 2014. Perhaps there is a "new buyer or user" upgrade to BI 4.

I appreciate your response.

John
Most cameras allow you to pull a lower bandwidth stream known as a substream...what camera are you using? you would need to change the camera path in blue iris to request the substream not the main stream.
You can also simply lower the bitrate of the main stream..this is preferable if you are not recording to any other source..what is your current bit rate set to?
As far as the upgrade, this website has no direct connection to the blue iris developer..He has offered a half price coupon to upgrade to V4....Only those who purchased after 12/1/14 were given the upgrade free.
I would NOT upgrade to V4 for at least another few weeks on any system that is primary use...there are bugs in V4 that need to be worked out...BI4 has many new features that are worth the 30 dollars...BI4 is actually selling for 60 dollars...so if you paid 50 +30 for the upgrade =80 the difference is only 20 dollars...you will not find other software with these features at anything near this price...

JohnW

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been playing with older cams (D-Link 900s) for some years...I now am working to setup a more comprehensive Security system.

Over the last few months, I have purchased a verity of cams... D-Link DCS 930 (4), 932 (3),933 (1), 2132 (1) & 5222L (3). Experimenting with these cams I looked for Software to manage the network.... I then purchased 2 Foscam 19821W cams to go with the Blue Iris 3.0. I will probably upgrade to the BI 4.0 soon ... but I think I need some training on how to use the BI Software and how to best configure my networks to monitor and record the Cams.

Since I have Win 2003 Servers at both locations, I may use one to record the Video or I could use an older NAS for this purpose.

Bottom Line ... I need to get "smarter" about setting up the Cams, BI Software. At this point I am only recording brief video triggered my "motion". Because of the Bandwidth limitations, I have reduced most of the motion triggered recordings. If you can advise .. I would be appreciative.

How should I get smarter on setting up my Security System? Thanks for your response.

John

JohnW

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Not attempted to measure the Bandwidth with a lower frame rate. I need to understand the BI software better. I am looking for an instruction video that could recommend software setup.
thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some videos on youtube..but ultimately the only way to learn is to go through the settings and read the help file that is available for every tab...