BlueIris: Won't connect via Mobile

RCGA

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI setup. Works fantastic. I have it recording a Windows desktop and have the mobile app. I also have alerts sent to my email. This all works.

BUT, I can't access my video stream (via the mobile app) via cellular or non-home wifi. Something happened when I upgraded my Windows machine to Windows 10 because it use to work fine for me.

I always get the following error message when trying to connect "unable to make connection; check server address".

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have BI setup. Works fantastic. I have it recording a Windows desktop and have the mobile app. I also have alerts sent to my email. This all works.

BUT, I can't access my video stream (via the mobile app) via cellular or non-home wifi. Something happened when I upgraded my Windows machine to Windows 10 because it use to work fine for me.

I always get the following error message when trying to connect "unable to make connection; check server address".

Any ideas?
The ip address of the blue iris machine likely changed....so your port forward settings need to be adjusted as well...

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Any ideas?
Did you statically assign an IP address to your BI server?

Did you open the correct port on your router/gateway (I am assuming you are not using a VPN to connect back to your home)?

You are going to have issues connecting via WAN and WLAN unless you create two different profiles on your phone or unless you setup split tunnel DNS, but that depends on your network equipment in your home. Typically people create two profiles, they call them local and remote, the local profile (on your phone/device) will have the private LAN IP address of your BI Server and the remote profile will typically use a DDNS name such as, home-dvr.dyn.com (home-dvr has to be a unique name, chances are someone is using that one, already).

Can you post pictures of your port forwarding page of your router/gateway?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you statically assign an IP address to your BI server?

Did you open the correct port on your router/gateway (I am assuming you are not using a VPN to connect back to your home)?

You are going to have issues connecting via WAN and WLAN unless you create two different profiles on your phone or unless you setup split tunnel DNS, but that depends on your network equipment in your home. Typically people create two profiles, they call them local and remote, the local profile (on your phone/device) will have the private LAN IP address of your BI Server and the remote profile will typically use a DDNS name such as, home-dvr.dyn.com (home-dvr has to be a unique name, chances are someone is using that one, already).

Can you post pictures of your port forwarding page of your router/gateway?
There's no need to create two profiles unlike most other mobile applications Blue Iris does allow you to enter both a lan and wan IP address...

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's no need to create two profiles unlike most other mobile applications Blue Iris does allow you to enter both a lan and wan IP address...
Oh perfect, good to know. I have used enterprise VMS packages where the mobile apps don't even have that option. :) Nice to see BI making it a little easier for the end user.

EDIT- With that being said, in the past I created a new internal DNS record for my-ddns-name.dyn.com to point to the internal IP of my camera server. When I am on my network, the app would use the DDNS hostname but the DNS server redirects it to an internal private IP, when I am not connected to my network, the phone DNS server uses the same DDNS hostname and it points to my WAN IP. I have since disabled that and am not using a VPN client on my phone so I can always access the NVR with the private LAN IP.

Last edited: