BlueIrish Sub-Stream changes

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I followed the guidance on sub-stream changes and saw the great improvement in CPU (100% down to 50%) - however my cameras (x5) are no longer triggering recording. There was a comment that the triggers and zones would need revisiting when the substream is added into BlueIris (I used /?1 as the string in the profile (copying existing and changing 0 to 1). However I've never used zones and I did change the trigger size a little to compensate for the worse resolution but nothing. I removed the substream string and the resolutions bumped back up......along with CPU bouncing off 100% but recording back triggering again !

Another thing I noticed was that the iOS app didnt like the lower resolution/frame rates either - each camera had a solid red box around it - is this linked to lower resolution/frame/sub-stream or because of the lack of recording ?

Apologies for newbie post.....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep - that’s the guide I followed…but it doesn’t answer my query? If you think it does - could you point out the area ? My cameras are Foscam.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What do the frame and key frame rates look like? I've never owned a Foscam but if they re anything like Reolink, SV3C or any of the other consumer level cameras they play with the key frame (iframe) and frame rates, as well as bit rates, This can result in unpredictable performance with Blue Iris which relies on a key frame (iframe) ratio of 1 for motion detection.

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
What do the frame and key frame rates look like? I've never owned a Foscam but if they re anything like Reolink, SV3C or any of the other consumer level cameras they play with the key frame (iframe) and frame rates, as well as bit rates, This can result in unpredictable performance with Blue Iris which relies on a key frame (iframe) ratio of 1 for motion detection.
I followed the instructions from the guidance:
Blue Iris developer's recommendations:
  • The i-frame interval should be equal to the frame rate (for best responsiveness and stability).
  • The i-frame interval should be not higher than double the frame rate (if improved compression efficiency is required).
  • The main stream and sub stream should have the same frame rate and i-frame interval
For the main stream I've set them to 15fps and frame interval of 30. For the sub frames, I couldnt adjust fps and interval for 2 of the 6. For the other 4 - I stuck to 15fps and 30 frame interval.

1. I'm assuming that I've got the stream URL correct and just copied the main stream and change 0 to 1 - it certainly dropped the CPU hugely.
2. Recording triggering - dont know why this wont work with sub stream included - perhaps I've got the string wrong above and it can't record both so doesnt bother. However the logs are reflecting zero records - I would expect it to at least trigger an alert - even if it didnt record ?

I've removed the sub stream URL for the moment and its reverted back to bouncing off 100% CPU and recording.
I'm obviously doing something wrong but can't see it at the moment - shame, as the cpu saving made that machine useable for once (opening IE and editing camera settings was instant, not sat there waiting whilst it managed to release some CPU !).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A frame rate of 15 should have an iframe rate of 15 and they both need to be the same for the main and sub streams, 15FPS/15 iframe, in both. Anything else will have unpredictable and probably poor results, with motion detection. Blue Iris starts recording with an iframe, which is a complete frame. If the main and sub streams are not in sync with each other you can see what will happen. If you can't adjust the rates in two cameras, leave sub streams off in those two and seriously consider replacing them with better quality cameras.

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
A frame rate of 15 should have an iframe rate of 15 and they both need to be the same for the main and sub streams, 15FPS/15 iframe, in both. Anything else will have unpredictable and probably poor results, with motion detection. Blue Iris starts recording with an iframe, which is a complete frame. If the main and sub streams are not in sync with each other you can see what will happen. If you can't adjust the rates in two cameras, leave sub streams off in those two and seriously consider replacing them with better quality cameras.
Great - I'll give it a try - thanks !

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I moved all cameras to have 15 for fps and iframe, main and sub. Then I added the string /?1 into the the sub row on Stream Profiles. When I flipped to the General tab - there was a only data showing for Sub-stream - nothing for Main stream any longer and the triggering/recording stopped for this camera. In the iOS app, that camera is now also highlighted in RED on the left handside under cameras....

It must be the string for the streams ?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the substream parameter is wrong then BI will red square the cam even if the main stream is correct.

What I would do is create a clone then set the main stream to what you think the substream string should be and then play around until you get a stream.

What are your main and sub stream string/Paramus?

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
If the substream parameter is wrong then BI will red square the cam even if the main stream is correct.

What I would do is create a clone then set the main stream to what you think the substream string should be and then play around until you get a stream.

What are your main and sub stream string/Paramus?
Main Stream is: /?0
Sub stream is: /?1

Works fine (with main stream) when sub-stream is removed..

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you used Find/Inspect in BI to see what it finds for streams.
I hadnt done that since I got the cameras, eons ago. So I did as you suggest and it did populate the Main stream with a different string /videoMain so I entered /videoSub in the sub stream space and it reacted in the same way as my old guess (/?1). I've now removed the /videoSub and left /videoMain in situ as there appears to be no difference.

I've just noticed that it did add some options other than (default) in the drop down though - 2 new ones called prod0_name and prod1_name. When you select the prod0_name in the Main dropdown - it populates it with the new /videoMain string. When you select default - it is as it was before (/?0). It would appear that you can put anything in the sub string field and I get the same effect - sub-stream shows as being selected in the general tab but no trigger etc.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried using /?1 or /videoSub as the Main stream, with nothing in the sub-stream? Then play with the zones...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Some cameras won't support both streams at once. I have an SV3C that won't and an inexpensive P/T Amcrest that won't. One or the other, but not both.

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried using /?1 or /videoSub as the Main stream, with nothing in the sub-stream? Then play with the zones...
Tried, no joy. I've also used various combinations of. Logically I can't see how that might work though - I thought the whole idea is that BlueIris uses the sub stream for presenting and iOS app but the main stream for recording and hence lower load on the CPU etc ? Did try it though - so that's ruled out now, thanks for the suggestion.

FlipperMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Some cameras won't support both streams at once. I have an SV3C that won't and an inexpensive P/T Amcrest that won't. One or the other, but not both.
I'd be surprised if the GUI for a FOSCAM camera had both streams available for settings but then didnt allow both. I thought they were reasonable cameras ?

Has anyone successfully used a FOSCAM camera with the sub stream guide I wonder and if so - which model ? I've got various: F19805W (x2); F19828P v2 (x2); interior dome camera, F19821W V2 (admittedly an old internal camera)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Foscam, SV3C, Reolink and a whole host of others are not really good cameras if you're actually serious about a video surveillance system. They all use low end sensors and processors which greatly limit what can be configured to provide the best video. Supporting dual streams takes a reasonably capable processor which is not as likely as we might think or want. The two I mentioned both have the sub stream available in the configuration but can't produce it along with the main stream.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried, no joy. I've also used various combinations of. Logically I can't see how that might work though - I thought the whole idea is that BlueIris uses the sub stream for presenting and iOS app but the main stream for recording and hence lower load on the CPU etc ? Did try it though - so that's ruled out now, thanks for the suggestion.
Process of elimination. Having tried only the camera sub-channel as the main channel in BI proves that it's definitely an issue with your FOSCAM and BI. Check out this Substreams and Foscam R2 - Blue Iris. If all fails, you may want to report this to BI tech support.