Blurr, Pixelation, Blocking on Motion

aussysam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been battling with blocking on motion for a while and I'm running out of ideas.. I have searched the web and have tried many different things to try and resolve this issue but nothing seems to fix the problem, hence I'm reaching out to experts here for advice :)

BIue Iris is running in a Win10 VM on Unraid. CPU is usually around 10%.
CPU- i7-8700, 6 cores & 12GB Ram given to BI VM and the video Intel 630 graphics are passed through.
Direct to disk recording is set, HW decode=default, GPU=any,HW acc decode=intel
I am running 3 different cameras (all POE) Dhua, Hikvision and Reolink and all suffer the same problem except.. Interestingly I have a Reolink Pro E1 (wifi) and it doesn't seem to display the blocking as much.

Things I have tried:
  • Higher quality Cat6 cable
  • Increase the receive buffer rate to 20MB
  • Downgrading the video driver (this did work last time I had this issue but over 6 months ago)
  • adjusting the frame rate and i-frame
  • many other suggestions I've found googling
Re-encoding the camera feed in cam properties records a clean clip- doesnt this mean the camera feed to BI is clean? Also never notice any blocking in the live feeds.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have a look at this thread

aussysam

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a look at this thread
Thanks!
What a fantastic thread...

My issue looks like Digital glitches "This kind of problem often appears as colorful blocks or dropped frames in the video. The reason for that might be an overused memory card, an error on a hard drive in an NVR or some kind of incompatibility between your camera and the software you use for logging to NVR. It also happens when there is a transfer error while downloading files from the storage. "

Starting to think I may need to build a standalone PC to test this further :( I just don't understand why the Wifi camera appears to be better than the POE and why is the video perfect when re-encoded?

EDIT: I think this Digital glitching is only present in the browser eg. when playing back an alert/clip.. if I export the clip its clean if I view on iphone it's clean... What would cause this?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make encoding H264 and no smart codec and try turning off HA and see if that improves it. Also increase the bitrate and make it CBR.

We know the wifi cam is obviously going thru the router - are the other cams? Routers are not efficient at routing these types of cameras.

If your cameras go thru the router to get to the BI computer, the router is likely being overloaded as they cannot keep up with the constant stream of video. These cameras are not like streaming services - these cameras do not buffer like NetFlix does....pull your internet and the NetFlix will still stream for up to 30 seconds...pull the internet on a camera and you lose the stream IMMEDIATELY...

And do EVERY optimization as shown in the wiki. I suspect in your attempt to fix this, you have deviated from the norm and have made changes to BI that you think are doing one thing, and are actually doing another, such as re-encoding.