tne7laa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I have got a new ip cam: "DS-2CD2435FWD-IW"
• 2048 × ‍1536@30fps
• Powered by Darkfighter
• H.265, H.265+
•120dB WDR
DS-2CD2435FWD-I(W) - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

I bought this cam especially for the 'Darkfighter' technology (high 120dB WDR) to have a better picture (video) by night. It is better than the previous one (the DS-2CD2432F-IW) but still at night it gives a blurry video. See 2 videos:

I have played with shutter time (1/50 etc) but does not get really better.
Maybe the h265 compression is not good. Maybe better to switch back to h264.

[EDIT]: For comparison a video of a cloudy day:

Hope someone can give some advice. Thanks

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the camera mounted behind a window?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But it still reflects back into the camera. You can clearly see the color differences in the window. My guess is, that this also messes up the camera image. Specially when the windows are double or triple insulated with uv blocking etc.

I would try it from a open window, just to see if that's the problem. The shutter should not be the problem, as my camera's are set to 1/25 at night. But if there is not enough ambient light or even streetlights, then almost all camera's go a little blurry or washed out without IR illumination. And if you would enable the IR at night, then you would not be able to see anything because of the reflecting IR light in the window.

tne7laa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But it still reflects back into the camera. You can clearly see the color differences in the window. My guess is, that this also messes up the camera image. Specially when the windows are double or triple insulated with uv blocking etc.

I would try it from a open window, just to see if that's the problem. The shutter should not be the problem, as my camera's are set to 1/25 at night. But if there is not enough ambient light or even streetlights, then almost all camera's go a little blurry or washed out without IR illumination. And if you would enable the IR at night, then you would not be able to see anything because of the reflecting IR light in the window.
Thanks. I understand that the reflections of the windows/curtains are visible, but thats Ok for me. My problem is more that the video gives a 'ghost' like movement in the dark.
I think that the pixeled Noice from the dark scene is the problem. But I have set the DNR already on 75%.
Maybe i'm expecting to much from such a camera.
Hope some other setting could make the noice 'go away'.

(BTW the YouTube videos are less clear then the real videos)

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you'd need to put some form of lens hood around the camera up to the glass, to reduce any stray light from inside or reflecting off the back of curtains/blinds, else that'll cause some fog effect. Use a matt black colour which would probably have best effect. Also don't use too much DNR and maybe lift the WDR a little to improve detail in the shadows.

Unfortunately you'll always get some blur in the image around the edges as the glass distorts the light, plus reflections from the double glazing strips between the glass, better to have the camera facing closer to directly at the glass than at an extreme angle if you have to have it behind glass.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the DNR is set to high, then it will ghost the image even more, as the noise is smoothed out, it will go blurry and ghosting.

My recommendation would be to go with a outdoor camera, as you will not be happy after a few days fiddling around with it. It's frustrating. Go for a outdoor one, and use the one you have now for the garage or so :D

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree re DNR, but behind glass can work if planned correctly.

All my outside perimeter views are from cameras inside behind double glazed windows, with light masking to reduce reflections off the glass from things like curtains, sunlight hitting inside walls etc. All also kept close to perpendicular to the glass or within 30 degrees of that, using 2.8mm lenses. The back garden one does suffer a little in the late afternoon to sunset as the sun is pretty much directly hitting that side of the house but it manages OK if the window glass is kept clean. Its a compromised setup but I can't put holes thru the landlords property so a case of making the best setup as was possible...

tne7laa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reactions.
An outside camera is not possible due no power outside. And want to have the cam ‘low profile’.

I will try different settings with DNR and WDR and accept reflections etc.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Know what you mean re keeping things reasonably covert, still worth getting some black card and making a hood perhaps, to give the camera best chance of getting decent pics. It can make a huge difference depending on how much direct sun hits that window or when room lights are on at night. Cheap solution too...