BNC camera / NVR questions

Qlxpfive

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello - A friend, who manages local Boys and Girls Clubs, asked me for some help with cameras at one of their locations. I have zero experience with BNC camera (slightly less than I have with IP cams), but would like to try to help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
The site has 5 GE TV-BIR-SR bullet BNC cameras. They are apparently mounted very high and not very accessible for low/no cost replacement. Someone has wandered off with the DVR. They have access to the other end of the BNC cables, all in one place (obviously).
From what I can tell, BNC cameras are almost always inter-compatible, but I may be wrong. What would be a good / cheap / easy DVR to get them working with those existing cams?
Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are right, just about any will work, but the biggest thing would be you have to match up a DVR with a resolution higher than the cameras. So if the cameras are 2MP and you get a 1MP DVR, it will not work.

A quick search shows they are a dismal 380 TVL resolution, so if that is the case, probably any will be sufficient.

But look as it might be cheaper to buy a kit and even if you don't use any or all of the new cams, it is probably cheaper. Back when I was BNC cameras and the DVR went out, it was always cheaper to buy a kit with cameras than just the DVR, so I would replace some of the easier to get to cams.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello - A friend, who manages local Boys and Girls Clubs, asked me for some help with cameras at one of their locations. I have zero experience with BNC camera (slightly less than I have with IP cams), but would like to try to help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
The site has 5 GE TV-BIR-SR bullet BNC cameras. They are apparently mounted very high and not very accessible for low/no cost replacement. Someone has wandered off with the DVR. They have access to the other end of the BNC cables, all in one place (obviously).
From what I can tell, BNC cameras are almost always inter-compatible, but I may be wrong. What would be a good / cheap / easy DVR to get them working with those existing cams?
Thank you!
I’d love to hear the backstory as to why you believe someone walked away with the DVR?!?

Which highlights the importance of having the DVR / NVR secured in a locked room within a lock box. Keep in mind this affirms the following:

Edge Recording: Every camera has the ability to save on board video data and can be used for historic recall within its limited time line. The odds every camera could be removed from a secure height is remote.

Redundancy: Every video system must send parallel data to independent storage whether it be a NAS, NVR, HD.

Off Site: One copy should always be kept and relayed off site. Even though I’m not a fan of cloud storage there are many secure services that allow the same. In the worst case scenario using the vendors cloud service would offer a limited amount of historic data for later review.

Back Up: Every video system must have one independent and isolated camera that records that secure room and it’s hardware. With the advent of edge recording this made it so much easier but doesn’t supersede the need one camera is operating separately, independently, on a isolated recording hardware in case of a site breach.

The vast majority of consumers won’t be able to invest the proper amount of money to meet all the listed requirements. But, then again with the advent of IP cameras that incorporate edge recording, P2P cloud service.

You’re 1/4 of the way there!

Qlxpfive

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies!

Regarding the disappearance of the DVR - I don't think it was anything nefarious. Though, I don't know any of the history of the place, it sounds like it was a multi-tenant commercial dwelling of some sort and a previous occupant just took the fancy looking box with buttons.

I recommended that he purchase a kit with a few cameras so that they can easily augment or replace those ancient ones. I also advised that he should get a unit that can support IP cameras, even if he doesn't get a kit. Though I told him I believe that any analog DVR should support those fine cameras, that he should consider purchasing from somewhere that takes returns, considering that the outcome and quality of outcome are uncertain.

Again, thank you for taking your time.