BNC male > female cable

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to buy 50 cm long BNC male > female cables to extend the BNC connection between balun and camera.

All I can find are coaxial ones, while obviously the one at camera and balun end are not coax.

Can I use them?

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what is available here.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
do you need to make adapt to Coaxial cable on one end? are you a bit short with your cable? and you just need a little more? that one you linked should work fine.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you need to make adapt to Coaxial cable on one end? are you a bit short with your cable? and you just need a little more? that one you linked should work fine.
No it is to connect the camera to the Balun. I use a 50cm bracket to hang the camera, and cables are supposed to be hidden inside.

I just notice that in my listing is quoted 75 ohm, but they use 50 ohm coaxial lol

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a habit out of convenience from the old days of ethernet on coax, 10Base2, and a lot of radio gear. I've got tons of barrel connectors laying around as well as crimping equipment for BNCs on RG58 and RG59.
Ok so I understand it is more based on personal reasons. I don't have all those tools, and although it will be doable, the male/female coax is easier to obtain.

Can I ask you, the cable I linked is IMO 50 Ohm instead of 75 Ohm as claimed in the listing.

Will that affect the quality of the signal with only 1 meter length?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just from an engineering purist viewpoint, if it's a 75 ohm impedance source stick with a 75 ohm cable, RG59 or RG6. Any time you even put a connector in a cable you introduce an impedance mismatch, albeit a small one. A big one, going from 75 ohm to 50 ohm back to 75 ohm, can produce unexpected results due to the standing waves.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I notice that all cameras, including the Dahua's I own, and all Balun's have 50 Ohm connectors.

Why is that? I would have expected that at least a reputable company like Dahua would use 75 Ohm connectors.