BNC to CAT5 connected cameras

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
your only connection to the Blue iris PC would be an Ethernet cable from DVR <-> PC.
You just gotta do the homework goog searches to figure out if the RSTP streams on CHannel 1-16 are visible externally.
Ill post an example when I get home...
I have an amcrest XVR/DVR and the ethernet comes from the garage to the switch, and my BI PC is hooked to the switch.
You dont disconnect any part of the currently working system.
Unless of course the DVR Is a HIk OEm and some of those are very difficult to get the stream from....Like My Night owls (Grrrrr)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i have a 16 dongle PCI board, from the Eyemax PC that only supported Windows 32 Bit in Xp/Vista/7
No drivers to be had in 10.
I dug hard and long to find a way to use that PCI card but it was just too damn old.
That was harder than and more Bullshit than just adding a pc off the back of a dvr.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will probably find the PCI board to be more expensive than the cheap DVR/NVR @Flintstone61 is suggesting.

Other than that, if you want to use the same cable to power a POE camera, this is the best option:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
just get a PCI board that has enough BNC connectors and plug the darn thing into the PC!
As @Flintstone61 stated, not needed! The existing cams get their power from the DVR. Leave that alone. Just see if a BI PC will get the streams from the existing DVR, or get a cheap DVR that will work and still supply power to your existing cams.

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
You will probably find the PCI board to be more expensive than the cheap DVR/NVR @Flintstone61 is suggesting.

Other than that, if you want to use the same cable to power a POE camera, this is the best option:

But this needs to have a pair on each wire and I can't do that....thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
i have a 16 dongle PCI board, from the Eyemax PC that only supported Windows 32 Bit in Xp/Vista/7
No drivers to be had in 10.
I dug hard and long to find a way to use that PCI card but it was just too damn old.
That was harder than and more Bullshit than just adding a pc off the back of a dvr.
Going to try this

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
your only connection to the Blue iris PC would be an Ethernet cable from DVR <-> PC.
You just gotta do the homework goog searches to figure out if the RSTP streams on CHannel 1-16 are visible externally.
Ill post an example when I get home...
I have an amcrest XVR/DVR and the ethernet comes from the garage to the switch, and my BI PC is hooked to the switch.
You dont disconnect any part of the currently working system.
Unless of course the DVR Is a HIk OEm and some of those are very difficult to get the stream from....Like My Night owls (Grrrrr)
Sounds good, will wait till you test it....thanks

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, just get a PCI board that has enough BNC connectors and plug the darn thing into the PC! Just don't know if the PC I am looking at has enough PCI slots as it only has 4 bays in it....might have to rethink that PC and go for something with more slots instead of trying to convert the cable mess
If i understand correctly I think @Flintstone61 is saying to keep it even simpler. At the moment for testing all you need is a laptop or a computer with an evaluation copy of Blue Iris installed. Connect with a patch cable your laptop to your NVR.

The Blue Iris laptop / computer will access the NVR via the patch cable. The NVR will do the "heavy lifting" and convert the streams for Blue Iris to access, read and record.

If your current NVR is not network compatible you will need to purchase one like one Flintstone linked to.

As @wittaj pointed out to me a while ago NVR's can be limited by their available bandwidth. I'm not sure if this will apply.

I've tagged both parties for assistance and correction if I've missed anything.

Good luck

moto2000

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a BNC system that I want to upgrade and am in a similar situation as you. I want to keep the current wiring since it was put in with new construction. My plan is to go with the Dahua ePOE system, which will allow me to use a smaller/cheaper device pair (LR1002) at each end of the coax.

1649561308309.png

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
If i understand correctly I think @Flintstone61 is saying to keep it even simpler. At the moment for testing all you need is a laptop or a computer with an evaluation copy of Blue Iris installed. Connect with a patch cable your laptop to your NVR.

The Blue Iris laptop / computer will access the NVR via the patch cable. The NVR will do the "heavy lifting" and convert the streams for Blue Iris to access, read and record.

If your current NVR is not network compatible you will need to purchase one like one Flintstone linked to.

As @wittaj pointed out to me a while ago NVR's can be limited by their available bandwidth. I'm not sure if this will apply.

I've tagged both parties for assistance and correction if I've missed anything.

Good luck
Yes, going to try it tomorrow.....thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres what my stream code is on Mainstream and Substream RTSP . As you can see The IP of the recorder is repeated down the log photo, but the channel # changes in the stream code to bring up each individual camera.
Since this NVR302-16Q is also touting 8 IP channels I'm thinking you should be able to pull a stream off this thing. It would be nice to know if it was a HIk or a Dahua OEM machine....
.Screenshot 2022-04-14 180832.pngScreenshot 2022-04-14 180938.png

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score
Heres what my stream code is on Mainstream and Substream RTSP . As you can see The IP of the recorder is repeated down the log photo, but the channel # changes in the stream code to bring up each individual camera.
Since this NVR302-16Q is also touting 8 IP channels I'm thinking you should be able to pull a stream off this thing. It would be nice to know if it was a HIk or a Dahua OEM machine....
.View attachment 125239View attachment 125240
The "New" ones have the 8 additional IP ports, ours does not......but I will check in the morning

kdreger

n3wb
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I am, if the device only has BNC connectors how do we connect a CAT cable to them? use a gender bender? View attachment 125243
Those are if you have ethernet lines already ran but want to use analog cameras. You are the opposite - you have analog cable already ran that you are trying to reuse. These will not work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what others have suggested regarding streaming NVR to BI:
  • Grab a PC or laptop
  • Install BI5 as a trial
  • Set up a cam in BI as generic/RTSP and try following URL's (if "Find/Inspect" doesn't work out or the URL's provided by @Flintstone61 don't work out):

URL format for NVR: rtsp:/ [USER] : [PASS] @ [ADDRESS] : [RTSP PORT] /unicast/c [CH] /s[STREAM TYPE]/live
as in examples below:

Code:
Main Stream: rtsp:/admin:password@105.152.15.99:554/unicast/c1/s1/live

Sub Stream: rtsp:/admin:password@105.152.15.99:554/unicast/c1/s2/live
NOTE: Use 2 slashes after colon; the forum software won't allow posting 2 consecutively!

The above URL's found at==>> Uniview RTSP URL format

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
According to the network / bandwidth spec your model has 40 Mbps in and 80 Mbps out for your 16 cameras ( 80/16 = 5 Mbps per camera )

I'm not sure how blue iris is set up so i can't say for certain if this is enough i.e. does it record sub streams and then record main stream when motion is detected or just record main stream all the time?

For reference i know my dahua 5216 has the same outgoing limit of 80 Mbps and it's a decent recorder.

I'll let the others confirm my thoughts and my maths lol