bought new 5442 for flir NVR. and now the headaches.

Reaction score
Hi all,
got a 5442 and tried connecting it to my flir NVR (DNR408s).
initiallized the 5442, then plug into NVR. Camera comes up on the list, I add camera, input password, and camera shows connected, I can play around with settings, set zones, everything.

EXCEPT there's no video to the NVR. (not just all black video, but no video, no overlay, and no error messages)
But when I login remotely with my phone or laptop using flir cloud (or lorex cloud), the video shows up.

And because the NVR sees nothing, it won't do motion detect. However, if I set continuous record, the NVR records perfectly (yet the NVR still sees no video).

I've tried:
resetting NVR
resetting 5442, plugging into a different POE jack.
Playing with video settings.
removing and re-adding camera on NVR.
configuring to either private or onvif connection (same result).
switching between DHCP and static IP (same result).

I'm pretty technically inclined and I currently have 6 FLIR cameras, a lorex wifi doorbell, and this new 5442, all connected to the NVR. The 5442 is the only item giving me any trouble.

any tips?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My first thoughts are you are exceeding the capacity of the NVR. Try downrezzing the 5442 and FPS to 5FPS and see if the picture shows. If it does, then you are overcapacity of the NVR.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The resolution is too high. As from their site...

Resolution 720P (1280x720), 1080P (1920x1080), 3MP (2028x1536), 5MP(2560x1920

Reaction score
I had it reduced to a supported resolution at 20fps, and as far down as 1080p and it's still not working.
I know my NVR supports 5MP upto 20FPS. If I leave the 5442 at 5MP 30FPS, neither the NVR or remote login will work because it's obviously not supported.

and I tried reducing to 5 FPS for all my cameras and the 5442 video is still not showing anything. (remote login continues to show video though)

Coachtech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you have sub stream 2 enable , and see if that solves your problem.

Reaction score
I've tried with with and without substream, and at different resolutions and FPS. no luck.

after 4days of troubleshooting, I'm going to conclude my NVR is just too old (latest firmware is from 2019).

I currently have my 5442 connected direct to my router and my NVR sees it as an external device and for some reason, motion detection works even though the NVR isn't showing any video (remote access to phone/laptop are still ok). And playback works, showing all the motion events.
But same story connecting direct to NVR (neither video nor motion capture works).

Ideally, I'd like to keep my cameras on a separate network but it's the only way I can get this working for now. Perhaps I need to plan for some hardware upgrades as my NVR has been EOL for 4yrs now.

Coachtech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using a 881a I had that same problem untill I went into the cameras gui and change to sub. 2 just thought that you might have same problem good luck

Reaction score
Is it sending H.264 or H.265? (H.265 is newer and may be less supported). Also for best compatibility you want to turn off any kind of advanced encoder option like "SVC" or "H.264+" or "Smart Codec".
HOLY CRAPOLY, You're a genius.
Even though my NVR allowed me to select H265, I never realized it wasn't supported. Tried reverting to H264 and everything works perfectly now.

You're my hero!!!