Boxed in porch camera placement

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My porch is not set up very well for a camera. It is boxed in as you can see from the pic.
The wire access is from the left wall only. I am currently thinking of mounting the camera (Dahua 2231) in the center above the door so I can get a good view of the entire porch. The only other option is to the left of the door above the light but this gives a limited view.
I am curious what others have done with a porch like this?

door.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Mounting on the left by the porch light may cause a problem with the bright light right in front of the camera. Something to take into consideration. Maybe above the door as you have stated. I think a 2.8mm lens would work. I would get nothing less than a camera with a 1/2.8" sensor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Along with what @Parley suggested, try these 2 temporary measures before you decide:
  • Mount cam on 2x4 stuck in a bucket of rocks, probably at 7 ft. to clear the door, over center.
  • At night and with light on, have masking tape and cardboard handy to mask the porch light glare back toward the cam.
If able to come up with a good image, facial ID and no glare, then you might be more able to transfer to a more permanent mount and fixture issue.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the image of the camera mounted above the door. If someone walks up, a motion light to the right of the walkway will turn on as well.
I think the ony way to reduce the glare would be to get a new light that points down but with the motion light it might not matter that much.
FrontDoor.20191228_215325632.jpg
Here is with the light off:
FrontDoor.20191228_215736125.jpg
Here is with the light on and the motion light on:
FrontDoor.20191228_220010141.jpg

Last edited:

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are right, it is a little too high but the doors are 8 feet so to go lower I have to move it to the side. I am kind of worried about mounting it low enough on the side so that someone could easily mess with it. Does anyone like Dahua make a really small POE camera that I could mount right by the doorbell?

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been searching the forums and just found some info on this cam: IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M, its the dual dome cam.
I was trying to stay away from domes but this may be a better option for my front door. The domes seem a little more secure so I could mount it close to the doorbell and have one cam look down to cover packages.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got the time to mess with this again. I put the cam on a 2x4 as suggested by TonyR and put it at about 5 to 5.5 feet. I cant go any higher or the light fixture will block the view. I like this view much better but will have to wait until it gets dark to see how the porch light affects it.
Cam2.20200105_142404082.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Boxed in entryway here as well. I use a 4:3 ratio 5MP Loryta IPC-HDW5541H-AS-PV rotated 90 degrees. The camera is at eye level and set in corner of side wall. With the 90 degree rotation and 4:3 ratio I cover the entire entryway and any packages left by couriers. Also, camera's WDR takes care of the blown out exterior.

entry vertical oriented 4 3 ratio.png

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Btw if you look way in the background, you will find one of my PTZs on a post 50 yards out. For a fixed focus 2.8 lens that ain’t bad