Brand new to BLue Iris, CPU over utilization only 3 cameras.

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been very successfully working with Reolink IP cameras for the past 2 years and have become a huge fan and implementer of them.
I've known about Blue Iris for several years but this is my first request to install it for a client.
Been testing it myself and found it extremely easy to setup & use.
It has many advanced capabilities as well that I will get more familiar with over time.
One thing that really caught me off guard was how much CPU utilization it is taking to continuously record only 3 Reolink cameras.

This was my out of the box experience is that on a high end Skylake system i5 or i7 I am immediately maxing out CPU with only 3 cameras which are sending out HD: 2560*1440 @30FPS.

With a high end Computer I was expecting to handle continuously recording 7 or 8 streams.
And so was the client.

I realize these are some heavy demands and non conventional "security camera" type settings and resolutions but still I was hoping to handle 8 streams at full resolution and frame rate.
I was also expecting Nvidia GPU offloading for video decoding as it is recorded and have noticed that
Installed GPU and latest drives make absolutely no difference in the performance in my tests.

Other than backing off frame rates and limiting resolution to lower levels, I was hoping to get some answers and good pointers here on the forum.

I have been contacting Blue Iris Support with questions about this.
Their last response suggested to come here to the forum and ask any hardware related questions here to figure out what works the best for what I am trying to do.

Current Test System:

ASUS Z170 Motherboard.
Intel Skylake i5 @4GHz. (also tried i7)

16GB RAM

OS and DB are on SSD.

Video recording and storage is on 3TB "purple" drive.

3 Reolink IP cameras (want to run 8).

Tried multiple video cards as well as built on Intel 530 Graphics. Same CPU usage.

2 Cameras full resolution 30FPS runs 50-70% CPU 3 Cameras rests around 90-95%% and peaks over 100%.

Disk usage on either drive is very low nowhere near 100% under 10%.

Thanks!
Steve

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep gotya.
I was fully expecting to be told to move my questions over here or just to simply not get answered over there.
But wanted to include why I signed up for the forum over there on the intro.
I probably should not have done that.
Didn't really expect the help to play out over there like it did.
Sorry about that.

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want.. If you like:
-
If you are one of the housekeepers and it's easy..
Maybe move that thread over here.
I can kill this one (or maybe you can).
And I'll can re-do the personal intro.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which thread is being updated, this one or "the other one"?

Thanks.