Break time- Max trigger alert duration

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm concerned about, for example, if a car drives past my home and triggers BI to send an alert, I'll get an alert that shows a vehicle driving by. Now, if a subject immediately exits that vehicle and comes on my driveway checking doors, since it's still within the time frame of that original alert, I may not know it just off of the original alert image unless the trigger has been reset fairly soon.

Am I correct in thinking that if l set the max trigger alert duration to, say, 5 seconds, it will end the alert/trigger of the original vehicle driving by and send a new alert if motion is sensed 5 seconds later? Help file isn't really clear.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Your assumptions are correct.

You'll just have to dial in the trigger duration time for your situation. Make it too short and you might get a ton of duplicate/annoying alerts. Make it too long and you could miss something (or make it harder to find something) because the initial alert seems innocuous.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@The Automation Guy appreciate it. Do you know if that trumps the “end trigger within x seconds” setting (the setting that goes along with it) if max trigger time is set below that threshold? I’d assume so, but don’t want to mess anything up.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or use a BI clone. Original camera triggers in the street. Clone triggers in the driveway.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@quest100 I've created clones of each, which are working. However, linked alerts do not play any video, only show an image in the alert list. I did not enable recording on any of the profiles with the clone cameras- do I have to enable recording with each clone camera in order for an alert to link to an actual video clip? I am worried about redundant recordings (clone camera recording a second file when the original camera already does the recording) taking up tons of space.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I was playing with clones I had the original camera recording continuously and the clone recording only when triggered. Not ideal but it worked for me. I have since stopped needing to use clones. Hopefully someone else knows how to properly set this up without redundant recordings.