Brick wall; pole mount on downspout vs wall mount on brick

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I have seven T54IR-ZE-S3s I'm going to install around the perimeter of the house: five under eaves/soffits and two on walls. For the two locations on walls, they're right next to gutter downspouts. My house is brick veneer so I could either drill into the brick and attach the accompanying wall mounts and run the Ethernet cable behind the downspout from the soffit above, or I could use the pole mount and attach it to the downspout so I don't have to drill into the brick.

I own this house so drilling isn't an issue from that standpoint, but I always try to avoid if possible. However, drilling into the brick with a wall mount will look cleaner than a pole mount. Additionally, I'm hoping the EmpireTech wall mount will future proof me a bit in that newer turret cams will fit the wall mount if I want to upgrade, vs attaching the cam directly to the wall without the wall mount.

I know this decision is personal preference, but I'm looking for your opinions on which route you'd go. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with the wall.

On the downspout and the mic will pick up every rain going down it.

There could be potential for some minimal vibration shaking during rain events.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using a PFA-130 junction box for the mount, I would drill and place small expanding anchors in a horizontal mortar joint; the third hole for the box may have to be put into the brick but could possibly be omitted as the outward pull force is on the 2 at the top, the 3rd at the bottom has little outward force, mostly sheer.

I'd avoid the pole mount on the downspout because if they're anything like my aluminum downspout it has no crush-resistance to a clamping band around it. Great place to hide a CAT cable, though.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would go with the wall.

On the downspout and the mic will pick up every rain going down it.

There could be potential for some minimal vibration shaking during rain events.
Thanks. That's a great point about the mic and vibration of the pole mount.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using a PFA-130 junction box for the mount, I would drill and place small expanding anchors in a horizontal mortar joint; the third hole for the box may have to be put into the brick but could possibly be omitted as the outward pull force is on the 2 at the top, the 3rd at the bottom has little outward force, mostly sheer.

I'd avoid the pole mount on the downspout because if they're anything like my aluminum downspout it has no crush-resistance to a clamping band around it. Great place to hide a CAT cable, though.
Thanks for the advice. I actually thought about using only two screws so I can avoid drilling into actual brick.

Question...why use the PFA-130 vs the PFB203W to mount to the wall?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No preference on my part, I'd choose based on aesthetics or if some standoff by the 203 is needed to improve the cam's view....either is good from a standpoint of sturdiness.
Got it, thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the 130 is a smaller footprint and not as obvious as the 203, I really like the ease of putting a camera on a PFB203W and rotating the camera to the right spot is easier too.

If the 130 allowed you to put the face plate and the camera base on at the same time it would be nicer. It is a pain having to have the camera dangling while putting the face plate on or trying to shove the cable into the junction box thru the face plate hole. YMMV.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the 130 allowed you to put the face plate and the camera base on at the same time it would be nicer. It is a pain having to have the camera dangling while putting the face plate on or trying to shove the cable into the junction box thru the face plate hole. YMMV.
Funny you mention this. I was playing around with the junction box and one of the cameras and realized this may be easier to install with two people given it's like a Russian matryoshka doll :).