Bricked camera UART shows bad block table...

wang

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got an old Ambarella A5s chipset camera that doesn't show up on any search with SADP or ONVIF or CMS but does show up in my NVR except with a bogus IP of 127.0.0.12 and the correct MAC address. I can hear the IR filter click open/close after 20sec of boot up so I think it's still alive but the config is bad/corrupt.

I hooked up my usb-ttl adapter and got some info but I don't know how to proceed. I tried ctrl+u to interrupt but nothing happens.

I have attached a pic of the camera board as well. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried ctrl+u to interrupt but nothing happens.
Normally the u-boot would indicate how to interrupt it, such as
'press any key', or Control-C or keep * pressed.
What shows at startup?

By the way - a 'bad block table' is a standard part of handling flash memory in embedded systems. There may or may not be any contents.

wang

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson

Hey, thanks for the reply!

The first pic attached is all I get when I power it on (I did it a few times, lol). I am unfamiliar with this message as it looks different than all the other tutorials I've read on the matter.

Ya, I was reading that and if bad blocks are normal then why is the boot process stopping? Or more likely, what am I doing wrong? Lol

Firstly, is it possible I've connected my USB-TTL adapter to the wrong pins? I tried the other 4pin header at the bottom right of the second pic, but it tests as 5v and still doesn't output anything with the adapter switched to 5v.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The first pic attached is all I get when I power it on
What keys have you tried when powering it on, to try to interrupt the bootloader?
Keep them pressed on the keyboard long enough to auto-repeat before you power the device.
<Return> is also a possible candidate.

Of course it's also possible the bootloader is broken.