Broke my torx bit in a new T5442 set screw

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got a new T5442T and was trying to back out the torx screw so I could mount the plate. Unfortunately, the screw was only got tighter and snapped my bit off inside. I worked the screw back and forth initially because it was so tight but had to back it out far enough to separate the frame. Now there’s not enough of the screw hanging out to grab and no room for another torx bit. Anyone have any bright ideas on this? I’ve got a small drill bit and getting ready to try and drill it but don’t have an easy out that small to pull that screw.

Attachments

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a set. The problem now is when the screw started getting tight I switched to a Snap-on torx bit and that's what's broken in there now. I tried drilling but it's hardend steel and that's not happening. Damn, what a way to start the weekend:banghead:

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bit was broken off inside the screw and wedged inside. I finally got the broken bit out of the screw and I'm trying to lube/tighten/loosen the screw so I can hopefully walk it out of there. Damn thing almost feels cross threaded either way it's a tight sob.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yikes, hope it works out. Recently I had kinda the same hassel replacing the old analog cameras for the new ip cameras. I really underestimated how much of a bitch backing out the set screws would be after ten years. I replaced them with 2431's which has the plastic clip mounts. A freaking delight to work with. To bad more cameras don't have the choice of these mounts. Not really vandal proof but in all except commercial locations it just doesn't really matter. Good luck and hope you're not completely screwed.

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got it backed out of there and didn't have to go full Dremel on it like TonyR's picture. I knew it was really tight at first but didn't expect it to snap the torx bit. I'm sure it's common sense but if you get one that's this tight hit it with some lube and work the screw back and forth a bit, before trying to back it all the way out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it out without a lot of damage. That is a problem with dis-similar metals and, shall we say, a miss in the QC department.

I use a product called "Kroil" which is a light, penetrating, oil that seems to work very well albeit slowly. I apply it and let things sit overnight, then they usually come apart with minimal effort.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it out without a lot of damage. That is a problem with dis-similar metals and, shall we say, a miss in the QC department.

I use a product called "Kroil" which is a light, penetrating, oil that seems to work very well albeit slowly. I apply it and let things sit overnight, then they usually come apart with minimal effort.
Kroil is what we used on air planes. Aluminum likes to get all stuck up, that's the best for getting it loose.