Bug with motion detection zones?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but here's my setup:

Zone A has the entire frame green (active). Any movement here causes a trigger.
Zone B has a thick line that covers about 10% of the center of the screen. B is overlapping A.

Recording starts if either zone is triggered (object detect is off).

I have the alert tab set to send email and push notification if B is triggered.

Here's the problem... When motion occurs, BI sees only zone A movement. Zone B is never triggered (each of the recorded clips show only "motion A", not "motion AB) - even if the movement crosses (or starts in) B.

I've tried masking zone A so that there is a hole where B is (no overlap) but it makes no difference. If I clear A completely, then zone B will trigger (and alert).

Ultimately what I'm after is if there is any movement in the frame (zone A) begin recording. If that movement crosses, originates, or stays in zone B, send an alert.

What I'm experiencing almost makes it seem like there is no way to have B trigger an alert if there is already an active trigger on A.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If object detect is off, then where would you configure a trigger event for an object crossing from Zone A to Zone B?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. I don't necessarily need Line crossing detection. I simply want motion detection to be handled differently if motion is detected in either of the zones. So, Zone a only recordes. But Motion in zone B sends an alert. Whether the motion moves from one zone to the other is really immaterial. I just need each Zone to be handled differently and I can't seem to have blue iris differentiate if one zone is already recording. The problem with object detection is if I Define a trigger to be motion moving from A to B or B to a, then it will only trigger in those events. It would not trigger if there's Motion in just a or just b.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I see what you mean now. I wonder if instead of wanting to start recording on motion in Zone A, that you continually record, and then only set the zone B up as an alert. Otherwise I don't see where in the current software where one can set different types of events for different triggered zones, i.e., Zone A to start a recording and Zone B to send an alert. It's a great idea, though.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I see what you mean now. I wonder if instead of wanting to start recording on motion in Zone A, that you continually record, and then only set the zone B up as an alert. Otherwise I don't see where in the current software where one can set different types of events for different triggered zones, i.e., Zone A to start a recording and Zone B to send an alert. It's a great idea, though.
Correct or I could clone the camera and have one do motion on Zone a and the other alert on Zone B. The problem with continuous recording is that there is very little emotion on that camera and to fill the hard drive with 24 hour recording would be quite inefficient. I've sent an email to Ken to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking or doing incorrectly. I'll post back here when I get an answer.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Could you clone the camera, as you said, so that cloned camera A starts recording on Zone A, and cloned camera B sends alerts?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Could you clone the camera, as you said, so that cloned camera A starts recording on Zone A, and cloned camera B sends alerts?
Yes, and ultimately, that's what I would do if there is no alternative way to do it. I just figured I would ask just in case I'm overlooking something simple.

A couple of years ago we had a similar problem with external triggers such as motion sensors or infrared beams not triggering a record or sending an alert if motion detect on the camera was already triggered. At that time Ken rewrote a portion of the software, adding the retrigger option so that a secondary trigger would trigger even if a primary was already in effect. Perhaps that didn't carry over to the different Zone motion detection