Buglars that aren't very bright

afremont

n3wb
Reaction score
No gloves, taking way too long and finally stealing the one thing that had any value to me, but was absolutely useless to them: my anti-theft stereo faceplate. Whoda thunk they'd take that? The car was unlocked, but I'd rather them take a good look and see that there isn't anything of any value than to smash a very difficult to replace window or rip out a lock cylinder. Watch carefully and you'll see how the gun never once leaves the thug's hand. It's a wonder he didn't shoot her or my car.

Arrested two days later. Walking the sidewalk wearing a hoodie and backpack while carrying a gun. Real geniuses they are. That's a feral cat following them around. The neighbors dogs bark all the time, but when they should have been making noise, they're snoozing on the job. Had I seen this take place, I'd probably have run right out there, confronted them and got myself shot. Love my HD TVI cameras.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like camera wasn't deterrent to them, one of them noticed it and continued their sketchy business

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
also because they knew it was unlikely to get a usable image.. crackheads have a bunch of cheap ass cameras hanging off there house too.

cameras are hardly deterrents, they presume nobody is watching em.. I've had good luck because I am a night owl and always have an eye on a camera, my own security guard.. those guys took so long had I been up programming the cops would have crept up on them.. especially if I said someone with a gun in hand is inside my car right now!, they might launch helicopters... they had a patrol car come by in a few mins when I caught someone in my mailbox red handed.. police respond totally differently if they think they can catch em.

afremont

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm upping my game on the cameras. I'm changing those out for matrix IR versions for more even lighting. Unfortunately, they only come in white and I like black domes because they're harder to see under the soffit. The white matrix models are also bigger, but they do light things up better. I'm adding another camera facing back towards the garage, but putting it to the right of this one so they criss-cross each other. Also adding one to the corner of the garage to look up the drive and along that fence. I was the only guy in the neighborhood that got video of them as they made their way down the street. Now my phone won't stop ringing with people wanting me to install cameras for them or give them advice about what to buy.

This caused a big stink in my little town because of the gun. People couldn't just blow it off as harmless kids anymore. A week later the same thing happened two blocks over by different thugs. People think this little town is Mayberry and they're getting a rude awakening as more and more car and home burglaries occur.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When my truck was broken into they took my faceplate too. No real value to them and only made me mad but could of been worse and radios are fairly cheap anyway. They also stole clothes and gym shoes in car next to me. Strange what people take.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
be weary about black cameras on sun exposed sides, they can and do overheat.. especially if you want to pull max quality off and really load up the processor.. many cameras that come black have extra heatsinks where white ones may have no heatsink other than the case you just made >150 degrees.. my white camera on the south side can get very hot to touch in the summer.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
These things are ugly as sin! They were out of the standard white over the holidays and I had to get 6 of these for a job. I hated the look so much, I had the guy hold off a few weeks till I could get the all white ones in. However, if you are going to paint the rest of the camera black to match I guess it would be a clean look.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These things are ugly as sin! They were out of the standard white over the holidays and I had to get 6 of these for a job. I hated the look so much, I had the guy hold off a few weeks till I could get the all white ones in. However, if you are going to paint the rest of the camera black to match I guess it would be a clean look.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy one. But if your looking to go black and want matrix IR it's your best option.

afremont

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL, yeah it was a "woman" of some sort. She whined that he put her up to it all and she really didn't want to do it. Then you look at how she rifled through my console after being the first one inside the car. They're probably already back on the streets using the Harris County revolving door of (in)justice.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one , it isn't bad ..but the all white is more aesthetic

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was it a real pistol? I'm betting airsoft. Who takes a gun for a petty misdemeanor? Why not go hit the local 7-11. Cameras are just one aspect of securing your home and property. Invest in a solid weapon and proper training if you have none.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but you have to assume the worst.. maby the fuckwad needs just one more encounter with the PD and he is going to prison.. so he brought a fat chick he can outrun and a gun so he can keep his ass from getting kicked by an angry home owner.

I cant shoot anyone for being in my car, its iffy if its even in the garage attached to your house.. first thing to do is press the panic button on your keyfob so you make them all shit them selves or if you have decent response time from the cops just lay low and give em a ring.. there the only people out at night and if you dont send em into hiding the'll likely be caught red handed.

Chasing em off with weapons and calling the cops at best keeps em from ever considering you a soft target again.. as soon as there out of sight the'll lay low and its all too easy to hide in the dark.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree. The 90 lbs German Shepherd that would be sounding like she's going to rip their face off the whole time they'd be in front of my house helps deter. I'm deffinately not advocating shooting people for property crimes but that dude carrying a pistol is asking to get popped whether it was real or not. Imagine if the poster called 911 and told them he had an armed male on his property going through his car.

I'm not going to blindly run out my front door and confront but they'll take notice when I'm peeking around the corner of my side porch illuminating them with a streamlight tlr2-hl.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

afremont

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh he was carrying a real gun alright. It was a .380 automatic taken from a car up the street. He picked up two guns that night and the guys the next week got three. People around here are idiots for leaving loaded guns in unlocked cars. Here in Texas, when it's dark, the "authorized deadly force" laws really kick in. You can kill someone for simple criminal mischief at night or to stop them from running away, you can defend your neighbor's property too. The whole thing is documented right here:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm
9.42 covers nighttime

Even though Chapter 9 says that you aren't immune from civil recourse even though justified in the use of deadly force, Chapter 83 of the Civil Remedies Code says you are. Go figure.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.83.htm

Dogs are definitely a great first and last line of defense. I'm helping someone put in a surveillance system, but they're only ever going to get video of people running away empty handed once they encounter the dog defense system. Another one I'll be doing has two big labs and they have a doggie door to get to the backyard. I can't wait to see video of them bursting through. It already happened once with some daytime thugs pretending to be from the power company "that needed to check the fuse box". Once they met the dogs, they were over the fence like high jumpers and never came back. One snuck around back and let himself in the yard while the homeowner was distracted by another at the front door. That delayed the dogs picking up on the guy in the back yard just long enough for him to get in the gate and close it. I really wish I had video of that. Those labs mean business.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You sure it was a gun? I thought so too but at 2:35 looks like a cell phone (?).

Best idea when you see this is call the cops immediately, then if you have a camera get by the window and try and get some better images. If they sneak off you could discreetly follow with your phone. Going outside, armed, is legal, but the odds of the situation getting you in court (even if legitimate) are too high to bother with IMO. Either a crack head with a gun who thinks having a gun while breaking into cars could shoot you, or you could shoot him and in either case you're either in the hospital or in court.

Going out to confront doesn't make sense. Either you will scare them off before the cops get there, or you will end up in a confrontation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh its a gun, look at 2:05 and you can see his f'n finger on the trigger.