Bugs causing false motion alerts

youscott

n3wb
Reaction score
I have motion detection turned on and bugs that fly around the camera will alert me. What setting do I need to change?? I don't care for the bugs.

Also what setting do I need to change so that I don't get alerted when the lights turn off/on because when the porch light turns on I get a 'motion' alert.

Thanks

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It happens because they are attracted to the ir lights on the camera.
First turn off the ir on the camera itself. Secondly, then to help reduce the false alerts you would need to buy a external ir illuminator.
Then mount it away from the camera but still pointed in the direction you want to look at. Then they go towards that

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Youscott, A remote illuminator will pull the bugs away. Maybe turn the sensitivity way down so they don't set it off, but then you might miss "real motion". Most cameras detect motion by pixel change. When your porch light comes on, every pixel changes. You want a camera with passive IR or an external PIR device wired to contact inputs on your camera.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can try using IVS instead of Motion Detection. IVS has a minimum/maximum object size that you can set that can help reduce false alerts. It's not perfect, but it's usually a hell of a lot better than motion detection.

youscott

n3wb
Reaction score
You can try using IVS instead of Motion Detection. IVS has a minimum/maximum object size that you can set that can help reduce false alerts. It's not perfect, but it's usually a hell of a lot better than motion detection.
Thank you!! I set IVS up yesterday and its awesome! Don't really need motion detection when you can create tripwire alerts.