Building a Blue Iris (BI) Rack Mounted PC/Server

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have room in my 19 inch Rack for a 3U PC/Server. The goal would be to run BI and Deepstack (GPU version) on it recording to its local HHDs. Presently I have the same setup but in a desktop case (2 HDDs). I have a 970 4Gig Nvidia card in it too but I am not decoding, all Cameras presently are recording Direct-to-Disc.
Without a Video Card I could use a 2U Case (better heat control). My Rack sits on top of a 12 inch shelf in a closet (only place the wife would allow :)), with an eight inch Register A/C vent (half blowing on the Rack, other half the rest of the closet). Have not had any equip. heat issues yet.

I have limits on its depth so it will need to be 15 inch deep Rack Server Case, I can use Rack Extenders for proper mounting.
Would like to have three 3.5 inch bays for HDDs but two would work, also a 2.5 inch bay for a SSD or a M.2 slot on the motherboard for the Windows O/S and Blue Iris.

Would this card be good for BI if I need decoding?

If you presently have a Rack Server, please share your setup or any links of this same subject.

All help appreciated...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please share anything you find. I have seen some videos but the motherboards they used are no longer available. Looking for a more up to date setup. One thing with a 3U, if you want to include a Video Card you need to look in to low profile cards. I don't know much about how the NVidia decoding works in BI, not sure I need it since I am writing directly to disc.

I would like a recent i7 Proc. that can handle 5 or so CAMs, maybe a few more :)

EDIT: Oh, the motherboards I was originally looking at had two NICs. Guess I could add a NIC, but Micro-ATX slots are scarce if you have a full Video Card.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I did reach out to them, they were pretty helpful. Not cheap but seem to have some good options...