Busy residential Streetfront "Borderline" Neighborhood 4K Recommendations

Reaction score
I'm in the process of revamping my current system. I had a GW brand 5MP camera for my front step railing that was a good FOV but the sidewalk is 20 ft and the facial ID was not that good, it was manual screw varifocal, though well built, water got in the coupler I believe and shorted something)

I need something that can remotely adjust focus and get excellent details (150+ pixels per foot) for the front sidewalk area, to grab good facial captures of morons that walk by casing the neighborhood (I've got an eye in the sky to see their movements on the street, this is just for door knocking, creeping by slowly looking around, things like that)

Just the other day caught a mid day prowler the other day in neighbors back yard and the 4k 2nd story window cam (amcrest) was able to pickup decent sharp features except the angle wasn't great for face, but did catch his not so sneaky stalking behavior (watching neighbor warm up car from 200 ft away, pretending to be on phone, walking around block and switching hoodie color but not shoes or jeans, same hair etc)

I run milestone and a cheap backup "dumb" amcrest NVR on UPS system just in case for redundancy. Ideally something onvif that can be controlled zoom from milestone (and or sighthound which I'm going to play with this weekend)

I was looking at the cheaper lorex 4K bullets, $150 or so on Amazon with motorized varifocal. Except theres conflicting info on if it can be controlled outside the lorex apps/onvif compatibility etc.

Illumination is OK, sodium streetlamps provide decent brightness at night plus neighbors porch lights etc.

From all the available pixel per foot calculations it seems a 1/3-1/2.5" with around

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of revamping my current system. I had a GW brand 5MP camera for my front step railing that was a good FOV but the sidewalk is 20 ft and the facial ID was not that good, it was manual screw varifocal, though well built, water got in the coupler I believe and shorted something)

I need something that can remotely adjust focus and get excellent details (150+ pixels per foot) for the front sidewalk area, to grab good facial captures of morons that walk by casing the neighborhood (I've got an eye in the sky to see their movements on the street, this is just for door knocking, creeping by slowly looking around, things like that)

Just the other day caught a mid day prowler the other day in neighbors back yard and the 4k 2nd story window cam (amcrest) was able to pickup decent sharp features except the angle wasn't great for face, but did catch his not so sneaky stalking behavior (watching neighbor warm up car from 200 ft away, pretending to be on phone, walking around block and switching hoodie color but not shoes or jeans, same hair etc)

I run milestone and a cheap backup "dumb" amcrest NVR on UPS system just in case for redundancy. Ideally something onvif that can be controlled zoom from milestone (and or sighthound which I'm going to play with this weekend)

I was looking at the cheaper lorex 4K bullets, $150 or so on Amazon with motorized varifocal. Except theres conflicting info on if it can be controlled outside the lorex apps/onvif compatibility etc.

Illumination is OK, sodium streetlamps provide decent brightness at night plus neighbors porch lights etc.

From all the available pixel per foot calculations it seems a 1/3-1/2.5" with around
Welcome @dirtyjersey

Those Lorex 4K bullets are Dahua OEM models, similar to the IPC-HFW58xx. Note similar, not the same - as the Dahua OEM international models are able to do IVS functions and often may have additional features which the Lorex versions do not. ( sometimes microSD card slot.. definitely more compute power for the IVS features - at least in the firmware )

Do take a look at the reviews here and inspect the IPC-HxWx8xx reviews, as I noted the Lorex "4K" model should perform similar to the IP-HFW48xx/58xx models in terms of imaging.

also, if this deal is still available - I would consider it if you have to cover something further away than the 8MP/"4K" varifocal can cover.
Amcrest 1080P WiFi PTZ POE IP Camera PTZ 25x Optical Zoom Dahua OEM Sony Starvis Sensor, IP2M-858W