Buying a nvr

cbbella

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy a nvr and came across this but the price seems to good to be true. Whats are your thoughts on this and also what sort of customs charges could i expect for delivery to the UK

DS-7616NI-E2 Original English Version NVR 16ch Independent Network Interfaces Case NVR HD 1080P Network Video Record CCTV IPC
http://s.aliexpress.com/mIBzmQja
(from AliExpress Android)

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy a nvr and came across this but the price seems to good to be true. Whats are your thoughts on this and also what sort of customs charges could i expect for delivery to the UK

DS-7616NI-E2 Original English Version NVR 16ch Independent Network Interfaces Case NVR HD 1080P Network Video Record CCTV IPC
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b7SbLUSk
(from AliExpress Android)
Has no POE function if that matters to you, very little sales history (newer supplier) and with the freight he is low /average cost. I would go to a more reputable seller myself. Also if you plan on running say all 3 or 4 mp cameras I would opt for the NI-I2 model as I have read they will handle them better. Thought I would add though that if you have your own POE switch and want a 16ch NVR the price is pretty good. But, he is probably one of those guys who will run down to the market and buy it once he has your order which if your good with that then you know what your getting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you need a 16-channel model? If you're on a budget you can get the DS-7604NI-E1/4P with PoE ports local including VAT and shipping for around the same price.

I would still get a E over an I as it's about value for money for most people. Hobbyists sure, get an I, that's different.

cbbella

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't need POE as my cameras are wireless so i can plug them into the nearest power point without running wires all over and they're 1080p with ONVIF protocol. I don't really need 16 channels at the moment but for the price I may as well get it for future proofing.

@delboy, what is the difference between the E and the I models

Regards

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't need POE as my cameras are wireless so i can plug them into the nearest power point without running wires all over and they're 1080p with ONVIF protocol. I don't really need 16 channels at the moment but for the price I may as well get it for future proofing.

@delboy, what is the difference between the E and the I models

Regards
Have you tested your cameras with wireless at those resolutions?

I purchased two 3 megapixel Hikvision wireless+POE cameras with a pretty decent Netgear router. The first camera was installed for a few days. It was... fine. It had a tendency to drop connection throughout the night a few times, even despite nobody using our network at the time, but it always reconnected. I added the 2nd Hikvision and it only went downhill from there.

Needless to say, they are now hardwired and POE'd. At times I think about re-adding my old Foscam indoor PTZ cam to the mix. I mean, it's wireless, but it's also 640x480 with an extremely low frame rate...

cbbella

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. they work as they should. I have a 70Mbps broadband connection