Cable Glands for Dahua RJ45 Connectors

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've installed quite a few IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE and have always been able to have the pre-terminated RJ45 socket inside whatever structure I'm attaching the camera to. In this new case I need to use a junction box and am struggling to find a cable gland which will install on the junction box and big enough to allow the RJ45 socket through and then seal round the CAT cable on the Dahua camera. I know these pre-terminated sockets are already weatherproof and I could connect outside the junction box but I want the connectors inside the box with just the white CAT cable showing to the camera.

Any suggestions on solving this?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've installed quite a few IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE and have always been able to have the pre-terminated RJ45 socket inside whatever structure I'm attaching the camera to. In this new case I need to use a junction box and am struggling to find a cable gland which will install on the junction box and big enough to allow the RJ45 socket through and then seal round the CAT cable on the Dahua camera. I know these pre-terminated sockets are already weatherproof and I could connect outside the junction box but I want the connectors inside the box with just the white CAT cable showing to the camera.

Any suggestions on solving this?
Hi @Andyh747

I've typically gone with quality bulk cable and terminated it myself as it is not easy imho to find what you're looking for.

As it seems that you will be having the cable run externally also remember to install a drip loop so that water does not drip into the junction box.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a waterproof plastic project box, make notches on the bottom edge of the box or cover for the cables to pass (i.e. with the cover on, there's a hole for the cable to pass, too big for the connector), and don't bother sealing the holes. No water is going to drip in, and if any did, it would run out the bottom of the box. So far, so good, with no problems. The worst situation I ran into was trying to make a waterproof seal that wasn't 100%. A little bit of moisture would get in and have no way to get out, leading to connection problems. I use the boxes only where I have a POE splitter. Otherwise I just leave the dahua connector with its hood hanging out in the rain.

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I've already run bulk external CAT5, that's been installed for several years. I was running analogue off this but am now changing to IP. The problem is not at the bulk cable end, it's the termination at the camera end. The camera is pre-terminated with a weather proof RJ45 socket which the bulk cable plugs into after RJ45 termination. The problem is getting this pre-terminated connector into the junction box and sealed. Thanks for the tip on drip loop, I also use this on external connections.
Out of interest, I found these which is exactly what I was looking for but very pricey!
Splittable cable gland PFLITSCH UNI Split Gland USG 22053 PC

The idea of notching the box is an alternative which would work. I'm also thinking of using a rubber grommet cut through to centre and then installed after I've got the connection assembly inside the box through the M25 knockout. Again with the entry at the bottom of the box, water ingress isn't a real issue.

Any other ideas welcomed.