Cable question

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its good cable...I have 10+ year old indoor monoprice cable running outdoors along a gutter unprotected and its just fine...
I have heard of quite a few people doing just what you did with no problems. I was thinking of running regular cat5e inside the conduit and my little brother the telecom salesman told me I shouldn't do that due to moisture. Is there any reason to use either unshielded or shielded in this application Fenderman?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of quite a few people doing just what you did with no problems. I was thinking of running regular cat5e inside the conduit and my little brother the telecom salesman told me I shouldn't do that due to moisture. Is there any reason to use either unshielded or shielded in this application Fenderman?
If you are not running these underground then direct burial is a waste...shielded is not needed unless running really close to something that might interfere with the signal....I almost never use shielded cable.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are not running these underground then direct burial is a waste...shielded is not needed unless running really close to something that might interfere with the signal....I almost never use shielded cable.
Plan on running in conduit underground so thats what I was thinking as well.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use shielded cable if your mounting the camera away from the protection of your house and dont have a good ground, like attaching it to a fence or shed. and then use a lightning arrestor at your ingress point.. This will give your metal camera housing a good ground connection, and all but a really close or direct strike shouldn't have any effect on it.

If your running anything else powered through the same conduit, also consider shielded.. but other than that its not really needed.

The biggest problem with indoor cable outdoors is its usually not given much if any UV protection, if exposed to direct sunlight with enough time the jacket will become brittle, crack and allow moisture inside. If gravity will allow it this moisture can condense and drain right into the network port on either end.