Cable testing equipment.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not looking to break the bank. I don't do this as a career but as a hobby and I'm learning something new every day. I have about 3/4 mile of cat5e and cat6 in my house for my whole house audio, networking, and cameras. I also work at my friend's house doing his networking, out at his shop with cameras and networking, and at his bin site networking and cameras. I also just got done doing another friend's cameras and networking, along with the same at my brother-in-law's place. All in all, I'm sure there are 5 miles or more of different cat5e and cat6 cable runs. Plus at these places, there is cable internet.
I'm looking for something that will test all the cables periodically as mice in some of those areas can cause damage, plus age, etc.
What do you use to test cables? I would like to keep it under $150 and under $100 would be the best for no more than I would use it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Either of these are in your budget. The Klein has all the mappers but I rarely use it. If you get up to 4-$500 range you can get a good camera tester that has a lot more functionality for network cabling; will tell you how far the break is. I’ll post a pic when I get home.IMG_4966.jpeg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you wanting to test? I use the Gardner Bender version of this on every cable I make and every run I punch down and terminate. All it does is show continuity, but that's enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just plug the camera in - if it works it is good and if it doesn't it is bad LOL.

So you want to just for kicks on a working cable test it for mice bites - is that even possible?