Cabling to Faceplate

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to know if I can run all the cables from cameras to a switch and then the cable from the switch to go to a cat6 wall faceplate and then use a patch cable from wall faceplate to NVR.
Thanks

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to know if I can run all the cables from cameras to a switch and then the cable from the switch to go to a cat6 wall faceplate and then use a patch cable from wall faceplate to NVR.
Thanks
Hiya,

Yes this should work. Is the switch dedicated to the camera or shared with the internal network. If it's dedicated then you probably won't be able to connect to the NVR from within your network.

Paul

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your message.

I was planning on running all the cables from cameras to a Poe switch just for the cameras then a wire from switch to NVR (via the faceplate) and then a wire from router to nvr, is this the correct procedure (ive never done it before) thanks

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your message.

I was planning on running all the cables from cameras to a Poe switch just for the cameras then a wire from switch to NVR (via the faceplate) and then a wire from router to nvr, is this the correct procedure (ive never done it before) thanks
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but most NVRs only have one lan port?

What model NVR are you thinking of?

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision 16 channel (don't have the model number to hand)

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With POE ports or not?

If not then there will be only one Lan port, so you'll have to have the poe switch got the camera and NVR and then link that with your current lan.

Even with POE ports, unless you use them, you'll still need to join the cctv network with the main network.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With POE ports or not?

If not then there will be only one Lan port, so you'll have to have the poe switch got the camera and NVR and then link that with your current lan.

Even with POE ports, unless you use them, you'll still need to join the cctv network with the main network.

The nvr has Poe ports and so does the switch.

I thought I could just connect all cameras to the switch and then the switch to the nvr and it should work

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That'd work, but you wouldn't be able to access the NVR from a computer on your internal network or from outside, unless the switch also talks to router.
Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That'd work, but you wouldn't be able to access the NVR from a computer on your internal network or from outside, unless the switch also talks to router.
Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Oh ok now it makes sense. Thanks for that.
What would you suggest in this case?
As I really want to keep the camera wiring in a closet and then have the nvr in a room with a tv

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Long HDMI cable or HDMi modulator but that will only work if your TV has a DVBT2 tuner, HDMI modulators take an HDMI signal and put the output into a standard coax cable which then can go anywhere in the house as most houses have coax already installed, to demodulate the TV`s need a DVBT2, the HDMI signal arrives as any free to air channel - in the Uk DVBT2 is also known as Freeview HD, NOT plain vanilla Freeview, not sure if the US uses DVBT2

And then i re read your post and this time understand.... you cant as all your cameras connect to the NVR POE ports, no matter what you do you will always have CAT5 hanging out the back of the NVR unless of course you look into my paragraph above i guess

BUT thinking onwards, if you put the NVR in a closet you would not be able to control the NVR easily unless a complex mouse system was set up, i had heard that wireless mice work with HIK NVR`s but tbh i have never tried

Last edited by a moderator:

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wowza, sounds more difficult than expected. Thanks guys

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your NVR is the termination point, it is where your cameras finish. you can have your cabling in a cupboard but you need to have an end point for the cameras - NVR

your only other option is to use a handheld device to view the output from the NVR and NOT have it on the Tv

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to come back to ensure I understand your ask.

Do you want the NVR by the TV just for viewing the cameras? If so you might be able to use something like nyar's RPii program.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9604

Here are three scenarios I've been thinking about.

1)
Completely separate camera network with the switch.

In this case the NVR/Cameras are completely separate from your normal network and you won't be able to access them over wifi or from outside your network/home.

2)
Link from POE switch to Network.

This means that you can access the NVR from your network and use the program above, but it does mean your cameras are all on your internal network. You can segregate them using different subnets, but it then starts getting a little complex.

3)
NVR to Network and cameras to POE ports in NVR

This means the cameras are off your network and only the NVR is exposed to your network.
But I'm assuming your trying to make the camera cable runs easier to the NVR.

I'm sure there are other options, but personally I'm using number three, with the NVR in the loft, but the cable runs allow me to do so.

Good luck.

Paul

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
People are complicating this and also not telling you to save money...

If you want to wire it how you have listed
Cameras to POE Switch, switch to NVR then you might as well save the money and purchase an NVR without POE built in.

All the comments regarding accessing and not accessing the cameras are also confusing and misleading in some cases.

If you have internet access to the POE switch (a connection/line/run from modem or router to switch) then you will be fine, plane and simple to access the cameras from your network or from outside your network via vpn or port forwarding.

There is no reason to spend extra money on a POE router and POE NVR if you are only going to use POE to power the cameras in one location.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies.

So if I've understood correctly can I just connect my switch to my router and my nvr to the router too and then I can access cameras when I'm out and about and view footage from the nvr on my TV?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hiya,

Yes option 2 will work. Although it's a contentious subject on this site, I'd suggest using a VPN instead of port forwarding to access your NVR from outside your network.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hiya,

Yes option 2 will work. Although it's a contentious subject on this site, I'd suggest using a VPN instead of port forwarding to access your NVR from outside your network.

well thats new to me, you can take camera feeds, input them into a switch and have a single cat 5 cable go from switch to an NVR to see the multiple camera feeds, how exactly does the NVR demux multiple feeds from a single cable ??