Calculating Bandwidth

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, I use a PoE Midspan w/a 48port GigE Switch.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Howdy,

Our bandwidth calculator is simply based off recommended bit rates as compared to the FPS and rez that you have the camera set at. Most of the cameras that we stock have the ability to do crazy amounts of bitrate per camera, and its usually overkill. For example, some cameras allow up to 16 Mbps which is banannas overkill. Most of the cameras nowadays are built with bandwidth friendly processors that normally dont need anything over 4 Mbps even at the highest frame rate. I find there is a sweet spot in which you dont really need to set your bit rate any higher than, because the image really doesnt improve at all that much. For example, I rarely see any 'prosecutable evidence" advantage of setting a bitrate higher than 2048 Kbps at 15 FPS for a typical 3-4MP camera, you may see some but its not really worth it. The only time I can see cranking up the bit rate to the highest setting is if you were doing MJPEG, which hardly anyone does with these cameras. Also, setting your bitrate to really high levels eats up your hard drive in no time, not to mention, makes your remote viewing difficult.

As far as H.265, meh, im not that excited. From what I have seen its not much better than the improved h.264+ algorithms that are coming out. Sometimes the h.264+ is even better. But I suspect everyone will be switching to h.265 soon, but its really no big woop, not worth holding out for.