Calculating focus distance

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a special-use case for surveillance cameras, and it involves high frame-rate for clarity of fast-moving objects on a packaging line (~240 bottles per minute). Space is also critical, as the camera must fit in a space where it will only be about 2' from the targets.

I'm currently looking at an AIDA HD-NDI3-IP67 camera for its 120fps capabilities, but there isn't anywhere I can find the minimum focus distance in the specifications. Apparently you can calculate this based on information about the lens, so I'm hoping someone can assist. Its stock lens is a 1/3", 5MP, 4mm focal length lens. Can anyone offer any guidance on what the minimum focal distance (MFD) would be for such a setup? Is it actually possible to determine? I'd rather not make the trial purchase just to find out that this critical aspect can't be met...

AIDA HD-NDI3-IP67 spec sheet

So far I have a Dahua N43AF5Z 4MP 30fps camera which I've trialed a few times, and it does OK but does not offer as much clarity during slow-mo playback of our faster production line as what we might need for maintenance troubleshooting.

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a special-use case for surveillance cameras, and it involves high frame-rate for clarity of fast-moving objects on a packaging line (~240 bottles per minute). Space is also critical, as the camera must fit in a space where it will only be about 2' from the targets.

I'm currently looking at an AIDA HD-NDI3-IP67 camera for its 120fps capabilities, but there isn't anywhere I can find the minimum focus distance in the specifications. Apparently you can calculate this based on information about the lens, so I'm hoping someone can assist. Its stock lens is a 1/3", 5MP, 4mm focal length lens. Can anyone offer any guidance on what the minimum focal distance (MFD) would be for such a setup? Is it actually possible to determine? I'd rather not make the trial purchase just to find out that this critical aspect can't be met...

AIDA HD-NDI3-IP67 spec sheet

So far I have a Dahua N43AF5Z 4MP 30fps camera which I've trialed a few times, and it does OK but does not offer as much clarity during slow-mo playback of our faster production line as what we might need for maintenance troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Thanks @PackageSurveillance

very interesting problem .. I am curious to see how to solve this ..

2 feet = your primary focus area .. hmmm ..

that's rather close for most security cameras ..

how tight is the budget for this ?

Russia is using Cannon DSLR in there drones .. perhaps a DSLR and a proper lens for your situation is the way to go ??

Reaction score
Budget isn't too restrictive, I may be able to go up to 2K if the camera is "perfect" for our needs, but I'd need to trial it first obviously.

A DLSR probably isn't the way to go here, not as weatherproof as we'd like. This is on a beverage packaging line, so it will be a wet environment at least from time to time, so IP67 is important.