Calendar in Blue Iris is slow to populate

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently the calendar icon you select in clips header has become slow to populate. I takes a good 2-3 minutes before it populates. At one time, it use to be instant. I'm only keeping clips for two weeks before they are deleted. If I try to click on something else while the calendar is trying to populate I get the dreaded "computer not responding, cancel program or wait" error message.

Does anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try a repair/regen of the database
Well, I was wrong on my previous post. That actually did not work. But, what I found out, after I wait for the calendar to populate, it will come up instantly the next time I select it for the rest of the day?!?!
the next day we start all over again. Even after repairing the database. If I try and select something else in BI I will get the not responding error. I am then forced to restart computer and then the calendar will populate right away........

Food for thought?

Thanks,

Brian

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, mine comes up instantly. Haven't seen anyone complain about that t one before. I'd think rebuilding would do it. Any other aspects slow as far as bringing up lists of alerts or clips?

Maybe send a note to support.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you inadvertently untick the box for it to Compact/repair DB in the Settings/Clips and archiving menu?
Thanks for your reply. I checked and the compact/repair is selected so that one is ruled out. The mystery, for me anyway, is why it will works after I wait for it to populate the first time and be good for the rest of the day. Then the next day I have to start all over........

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, mine comes up instantly. Haven't seen anyone complain about that t one before. I'd think rebuilding would do it. Any other aspects slow as far as bringing up lists of alerts or clips?

Maybe send a note to support.
Thanks for your reply...All other aspects, that I know, seem to work fine. In fact I feel that this is the best, with the help of this chat board, BI has run for me since we started using it. As I stated previously that once the calendar does populate it will come up instantly the next time I select it. But, only for the rest of the day. The next day I have to start all over.......

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
SINCE it works well soon after you run it, why not set the compact/repair time for say... 15 minutes before you normally check BI for the first time in the morning and see if that does it for you...

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SINCE it works well soon after you run it, why not set the compact/repair time for say... 15 minutes before you normally check BI for the first time in the morning and see if that does it for you...
Thank you for your reply,

your suggestion is a good idea. Can you please inform me how to set that up. As of now, it only happens when I manually do it.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A new problem with the time line calendar that is located with the "clips" in Blue iris.
the previous problem, that still exists, is that the calendar takes a few minutes to populate when before it was instant. once it populates its good for the day. Then the next day I have to start all over again.
Have not figured that out yet.....

The NEW problem I discovered is that when the calendar it up it still shows the red dot that signifies recordings on such and such days. So when I click on those older dots/days the recordings come up. I click on the recording and, as it should, "file not found" because it was deleted. In my file where all the recordings go, again, as they should, they are gone/deleted.

I have my limit size set to 500GB which gives me around two weeks of recordings. It deletes the older clips and my status bar will be back around 498 GB until it reaches 500 GB again.

So, does anyone have an idea why these problems exist. Everything else in BI works as it should. Even in the app the calendar there is populated correctly
Settings/Clips and archiving/Compact Repair DB at (set your preferred time) - Make sure to hit OK to save it...
Thank You, all set up for 8:00am.

I am going to through this out there to see if you know. When the calendar does populate and I go back to previous dates and they have the red dot on the days with recordings. The dots are no longer being removed when those clips are deleted. I have a limit size of 500 GB and when it reaches that BI will delete older clips back down to around 495ish GB. This will roughly give me 2-3 weeks of recordings on file. I view the file where recordings are stored and all is good there. The older clips that are to be deleted are deleted. I view the older days that should be deleted on the calendar and the red dot is still there. I click on the day, with the red dot, that should be deleted and the recordings will come up. I click on the recording to view and, as it should, I get a message that file is not found. Obviously because it was deleted by BI.

I can right click on those recordings and delete them all out but the red dot will remain for that day. All of this started on April 11. So I view the file where clips are stored and April 11s are deleted. Go to calendar and click on April 11 (still have red dot) and the list is empty because I manually deleted list. I have done all the Compact/Repair, Repair/Regenerate and Ran maintenance. The kicker is when I view the app on my phone all is good. no issues. That calendar populates instantly and the dots on the correct days.

any help is appreciated!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always had this issue from time to time, and never have found a solution.
I've emailed support a couple of times about it, but never get any real feedback.

Anyone else have this problem?

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to share this with you. This morning I didn't get to the cameras until 9:00am rather than 8:00 ish. Once again, the calendar did not populate instantly. I didn't take as long as previous times though. So, I'm guessing there is a small window there that will allow me to view calendar instantly. Maybe has something to do with the amount of recordings from 8:00 to 9:00 because, as I said, it didn't take as long to populate.......which makes sense because before It was set up at 1:00 am to do its compact/repair until you recommended me to move to later, which worked when I viewed calendar at 8:00 am ish.

above the "compact/repair DB each day at" check box in the Clips and archiving tap.....should the "Log clip move/delete details" box be checked?

AS OF writing this I discovered something about my problem. No not that problem. but with the calendar red dot problem that I also believe is related to the calendar populating issue.
When you select the calendar you have the option to view one camera's recording or all camera recordings. I manually deleted all the recording, on April 11, from the clips list but the red dot remained. Today,
I had the individual camera choice selected and the red dot was gone under April 11. When I selected all recording the red dot came back. So I went through my cameras and found the one camera that has been
causing the problems. Or I think has been causing problems. When I select that camera and try to populate the calendar it takes a few minutes. When I hit the back arrow, on the calendar, to view older dates it takes a few minutes.

So with this new information does anyone have an idea where to look to resolve this?

Thanks,

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK all, I am going to share this. The problem I have had with the clips calendar has been resolved or at least appears to be. We have been running version 4 software since we installed the cameras in 2018. All was good except a few issues every now and then that this board helped me fix. So basically it wasn't broke so why fix it with new version. Well I guess it was broke because after talking with other people we decided it was a good Idea to up grade to version 5. After doing so everything appears to be working fine. I do have a few issues that are probably to do with the Hikvision cameras rather than the BI software. I will probably post those questions at a later time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK all, I am going to share this. The problem I have had with the clips calendar has been resolved or at least appears to be. We have been running version 4 software since we installed the cameras in 2018. All was good except a few issues every now and then that this board helped me fix. So basically it wasn't broke so why fix it with new version. Well I guess it was broke because after talking with other people we decided it was a good Idea to up grade to version 5. After doing so everything appears to be working fine. I do have a few issues that are probably to do with the Hikvision cameras rather than the BI software. I will probably post those questions at a later time.
Be sure to take advantage of sub streams in BI for your cams that will improve CPU performance. Further optimizations can be found here ==>> Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage