Calling Android users! Hik-Connect push notifications not showing when locked [SOLVED]

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am at my wits end right now. Up until now, all of my clients have had iPhones & iPads using Hik-Connect. My current customer has a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and a Galaxy Note tablet that both have the same issue.

When the Galaxy phone & tablets are locked, push notifications do not show up on the lock screen. Only after the phone is woken do the notifications come in. It seems as though it is a setting/issue with the Samsung device and not Hikvision. However, all lock screen & notification related settings I can think of have been enabled with no luck.

• Power saving mode is off
  • Under Settings > Notifications > Hik-Connect, lock screen notifications are enabled
  • Under Settings > Lock screen & security > Other security settings > Notification access is enabled
  • Wifi sleeping is set to Never

Is anybody out there on Android or using Samsung with Hik-Connect getting push notifications while their device is locked? Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is anybody out there using Hik-Connect on Android w/ push notifications successfully?? More specifically when the phone is locked?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is definitely an Android issue. I'm having the same problem with notifications in general not appearing until I unlock the phone, then they come through immediately. I've Googled it and it seems to be a long-standing issue without any solutions once you check the settings as you have. It seems to affect phones randomly, for example my Pixel 2 XL has the issue but my wife's Pixel XL doesn't. And we both have the latest Android version available because Google pushes them directly. The funny thing the Ring app doesn't have this problem while even Gmail does.

Reaction score
This is definitely an Android issue. I'm having the same problem with notifications in general not appearing until I unlock the phone, then they come through immediately. I've Googled it and it seems to be a long-standing issue without any solutions once you check the settings as you have. It seems to affect phones randomly, for example my Pixel 2 XL has the issue but my wife's Pixel XL doesn't. And we both have the latest Android version available because Google pushes them directly. The funny thing the Ring app doesn't have this problem while even Gmail does.
Thanks so much for the reply. I was going a little insane thinking this problem was only limited to a small number of users. I really hope there is some kind of resolution soon!

Bob NWI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. I was going a little insane thinking this problem was only limited to a small number of users. I really hope there is some kind of resolution soon!
Problem confirmed here on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Ran tests on both mobile and WiFi networks along side my Ipad and rooted LG G3 with custom rom. The S7 will not display the Hikvision push notification for motion or ringing my doorbell(DB1). The other devices respond fine?

Any further updates?

Reaction score
Problem confirmed here on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Ran tests on both mobile and WiFi networks along side my Ipad and rooted LG G3 with custom rom. The S7 will not display the Hikvision push notification for motion or ringing my doorbell(DB1). The other devices respond fine?

Any further updates?
Unfortunately not. Still pulling my hair out over it. Called Samsung and tech support kept insisting it was a carrier issue. Experiencing this issue on S7 Edge on Verizon & AT&T. There's got to be a way to fix this.

Imygaf

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also experiencing the same issue. I have a Google pixel with lastest Android version 9.
I have not tried with any other device to see if it works.

I am getting really annoyed by this now. It seems that every time hikvision update the app there are more issues created than are solved. There was a time when I wasn't getting notifications at all.

App update solved this but now the issue with having to wake the phone to get notifications.

Has anyone been on to hik support to make them aware of this?

Michaels

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe too obvious but have you checked battery saver/optimisation settings. My OnePlus 6 is a pain with these - seems to switch optimisation on when I've switched it off.
I can't comment about Push notifications cos I haven't got that to work at all - I've registered here to post asking for advice...

Imygaf

n3wb
Reaction score
Phone settings all look ok. Forgot to say earlier, occasionally i will get alerts instantly, other times it can take 5-10 minutes. Rest of the time I will only get the alert when I wake the phone. This could be around 30 minutes after the event

Bob NWI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It didn't work when I tried it last week but appears to now.
Just don't restart the phone or you will have to run the command again!

I hope the battery doesn't drain too quickly.

Bob NWI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[Exclusive|No Root|No App] Force Enable/Disable ‘DOZE’

Use the link for instructions and run the following command --> adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

Problem Solved !!

Been using S7 for aw week now after running this command. Seems to work consistently for the motion detection notifications but ringing the doorbell notifications do not come through all the time, have to unlock screen to get some of them?

Babavers

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this. I have exactly the same problem as you all except that it's only the Hikvision app (and Ezviz, and RCA which are derived from it). The fact that notifications are a little late is not a big issue for me, but the fact that the phone doesn't wake up when somebody rings my DB1 doorbell is very annoying. Obviously.... And that is a function of the app I compare with Skype, Hangouts call, Whatsapp call, aso.... All those apps work perfectly without any modification of the 'standard' settings of my phone. All those apps are even optimized in the battery optimisation settings. Only this Hik-connect app doesn't wake up my phone. So I have my doubts about blaming Android. For me it's clearly an app-issue. FYI : my phone is a OnePlus 6 running Android 9. My Asus tablet running Android 7 has exactly the same problem. Also ONLY the Hik-vision app (and its derived ones).

Bob NWI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it is Android and Samsung mostly. I have to use the ADB command "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" to disable the Samsung S7 idle mode to make it wake when screen is off. It works most of the time. My Chuwi android tablet will not wake at all from doorbell. My Ipad 2018 9.7 wakes instantly from doorbell all the time!

Reaction score
FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION!

You will need to enable developer mode by going to Settings > About then find build number and tap on it 7 times. Then, go back into Settings > Developer > Enable USB debugging.

Via ADB for Chrome (link below), issue the following command: dumpsys deviceidle disable

ADB for Chrome

This will need to be done any time the phone is restarted. This disables the broken "doze" mode causing notifications to be delayed or not come through after the phone sits idle for 5 or more minutes.

WieHebHet

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Finally indeed!!

Although someone found a way to disable battery-usage in the background the pushmessages still didn't come through. (This is hidden in my Galaxy S9)
After using the above command it did, thanks a lot for sharing.

But..... my doorcam still doesn't come through all the time.
Has this workaround been shared with Samsung?

I have had a 3 hour teamviewer session last week with a tech-guy over at Hikvision, they claim not to be informed with this issue.
Strange considering i have been in contact with them for months now.

I really need a fix for this, not a half working workaround, so i will keep in touch with Hikvision and will try to get in touch with Samsung.

Cheers.

Cpjcutts

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever fix this issue? I have this on a galaxy s10+

I have a two station intercom system and when the phone is open and not locked then it works fine. As soon as it locks it fails. So pretty useless.

Last edited:

HbW

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have managed to overcome the issue after a recent, so called auto-update to HIK Connect where I was getting delayed notifications (previously I wasn't on an older software). I didn't need to access the Developer Options or do anything of the sort.

I resolved this by re-installing the latest HIK Connect app and followed their specific instructions on set up as well as the most important part - Turning OFF battery optimisation for the HIK Connect app so that the app uses FULL phone battery power when it is needed. Yes I know some of you might say you have done that and I too thought I was doing it the correct way but I found the following worked for me (ANDROID 9 on a Samsung S8). The instructions on the CN website for Android battery optimisation are outdated esp. if you have any Android version newer than Android 7 approx.

To do this, ensure you
1. Download the most current Hik Connect app from appstore.hikvision.com Don't go to any other website (including ones not based on the .com domain) and don't load any of the Android third part apps - they weren't compatible.
2. Install the APP and follow their instructions on installation fully
3. Associate/configure your camera/s to the network on the app and ensure you can access live view, recording, playback and the associated settings.
4. I am not sure if this played a part, but I needed to access the camera with the Authorisation Code so I could achieve live view - I checked this password from my laptop based IVMs4200 and input the same password into the Hik Connect App getting access to live view.
5. Close out of the app
6. From your apps screen, hold down the Hik Connect so that your App Info opens up (this is not an advanced operation and pretty simple task). Under the following screen under "Usage" sub banner, there will be Mobile data, Battery, Storage and Memory
7. Tap on Battery (this wouldn't allow me to do it in the older HIK software for some reason but would after a fresh install of current Hik Connect version 4.8.0.0910)
8. Under "Managae Battery Usage", ensure that Allow background activity is ON
9. Tap on Optimise Battery Usage and then at the top of this screen, ensure you display 'Apps not optimised'
10. Scroll through the list and locate HikConnect App - I found that my setting had defaulted to show HikConnect App as optimised - this needs to be turned OFF. Turn it off and HikConnect should not appear on the "Apps not Optimised" list.
11. Go back to the top of the screen and using the drop down box, display ALL apps (under Optimisation)
12. Scroll through to find the Hik Connect app and ensure Battery Optimisation is turned OFF as a double check measure.
13. Ensure your notifications are turned ON for the APP within the same APP Info screen under App settings

You should then be able to receive the notification as they occur without delay. I know I do now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

WieHebHet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, thanks for sharing your findings!

But.....

Besides the fact that android 9 didn't have this issue i am wondering how it's possible you did?

I am using 10, for quite some time now and it has been drama since day 1.

Allthough i get my updates through me-app.net instead of the appstore you suggest i use exact the same version of Hikconnect.
Also take in mind that all phones use different software so the battery optimalisation is found different on all devices.
SOme of the points you suggest are not possible on my samsung s9 and now oneplus nord.

Optimalisation of batteryussage is something i have done allready and still i have to disable doze function to get the notifications in on time.

So, sadly i have done what u said but it doesn't work for everyone.

Kind regards